Old 16-08-2003, 04:32 PM

Default anybody remember?

there was a guy sent along the most hysterically funny story about how he set up his
first pond. musta been 5-7 years ago. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-08-2004, 10:01 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Ingrid posted this about a year ago and I thought it was due for a rerun,
since it is afterall, rerun season. ;o) ~ jan

"Here I sit in a tent next to a lake with my hands shaking and the coffee
helping my nerves. What has this got to do with building a water
garden you ask? Well, sit back and let me share the story of my "little
water garden" that started a few months back.
Boy, these ponds sure look like a lot of fun to build and our neighbor
fred up the street said it was easy to install yourself.
So I started to dig a hole and everything was going great until I hit
"the Rock", which would later prove to be my demise. I thought I could
dig around this rock by hand so I dug and dug and well you get the
picture. I went through two wooden handled shovels trying to leverage
the rock out so I ordered a steel shaft shovel from biggertools.com on
the internet. Of course I paid the extra for the overnight delivery(I
didn’t want to slow my progress). It was delivered the next day by 8:30
AM.

By 9:30 AM I was rushed to the doctor’s office by ambulance…….why you
ask? Well the steel shafted shovel weighed in at 90 lbs. After
digging for about an hour I felt a snap in my back which caused me in
turn to drop the shovel on my big toe which would have been fine had I
been wearing boots…unfortunately I was wearing sandals which do not have
steel reinforced straps!!!

After a few stitches to my toe, corrective shoes and 2 weeks of therapy
for my back and I was as good as well, well a forty year old.
Back to the rock….Well, I called explosives-r-us and they assured me
they could handle this rock. Everything was going well until they
pushed the button. The good news is my pond is going to be much bigger
than originally thought. The bad news is it blew out all of my
neighbors windows. I told him, look you will get much better
ventilation this summer that way. He found no humor in the moment…..my
insurance company assured me I was covered under the "idiot clause" in
my insurance, of course less my deductible.

I hopped into my escort and sped off to the local pond store to get my
30 ‘x40’ liner. With the help of the employees we dropped the liner
into the trunk off by sliding it off of the forklift.

I didn’t think the noise from my bumper dragging was all that bad..I
just turned the 8 track up louder and I didn’t notice the sparks from
the bumper starting the prairie fire in the lot next to my house.
I pulled into the drive and my wife and I pulled the liner out after
using several successful words I learned from my dad as a kid that
always helped in situations like this. It was after I got the liner out
that I noticed the smoke coming from the back yard….remember the sparks
from my bumper?

With a little help from the local volunteer fire dept. we had the fire
out in a couple of hours. Man that smoke really does burn your eyes
and the looks from my wife were pretty painful also.
The good news is the fire killed all the grass around my pond and now
landscaping will be much easier I pointed out to my wife.
The rest of the pond construction was pretty uneventful except for the
new electrical panel we had to install to handle the 25,000 gph pump I
had to have and the fact that the city tracked the lowering of the local
reservoir by two feet to me filling up our new pond.

I was able to stock my water garden with some great Koi…the bad news is
my mother-in-law found out I had hocked some of her jewelry to fund this
purchase. She has decided not to press charges now and the police said
the ink will wear off of my fingertips in a few weeks.

Which brings me back to the tent and the coffee. My wife said I can
move back in as soon as I pay her mother back for the fish and I can
find someone to get this Koi tattoo(don’t ask) off of my body.

I have had to take two other jobs to pay off the pond related expenses
as follows
2 wooden shovels @ $20.00 ea. $40.00
1 Steel shafted shovel @ $40.00 $40.00
1 Overnight delivery $60.00
Doctor’s Office Visit $100.00
Physical Therapy $375.00
Explosives-R-Us $950.00
Insurance deductible $500.00
Pond Equipment & liner $1250.00
Repair Escort Bumper* $150.00
Have Ford Dealer repair bumper correctly $649.00
Donation to volunteer fire dept. $500.00
New Electrical panel $700.00
City Fine for lowering reservoir $275.00
Cruise to pay off mother in law $3700.00
Tatoo(From Vinnys Tatoo & Garage) $245.00
Second Honeymoon with wife to
Save marriage $5000.00
Camping Gear $875.00

I am now back with my wife and the pond was worth every penny……the
lesson, do lots of research, read books, magazines, go on tours and then
dig in! Ponding is really very easy and will provide you with a
lifetime of enjoyment. Phil Geusz

Update: "I got a copy of the Daphnian (the bulletin of the Boston Aquarium
Society) in the mail a couple weeks back, and have been forgetting
almost daily to post my thanks here to whoever reprinted my silly little
article there. (I carefully kept the name of my beneficiary on file, but
a hard-drive crash scrambled it for me.)
I also want to thank the list as a whole- if it had not been for
the friendly atmosphere here I never would have posted something so
frivolous. And yet it resulted in something very important to me- the
first time I have ever seen real print. And in the prime inside-cover
spot, too...
I bought everyone at work a soda the day that publication arrived.
I can't do that for everyone here, but I would if I could.
And my fish are fine. The house, car, and retaining wall, well,
work progresses.... Phil"

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 19-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Cookie

Truth???

Old 19-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Cookie

Truth???

Old 20-08-2004, 02:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Probably embellished on a factual happening. ;o) ~ jan

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:08:03 GMT, "Cookie" wrote:

Truth???

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~