GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   definition of the term *Plonk* (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/40996-definition-term-%2Aplonk%2A.html)

Axolotl 21-08-2003 03:02 AM

definition of the term *Plonk*

see the following

http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/P/plonk.html
or
http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?plonk

I missed the asterixes out, bad me!

Lee Brouillet 21-08-2003 02:12 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

Cool . . . I was familiar with the British term as "derision", but not that
it was cheap booze, or an acroynm for Person of Little Or No Knowledge G
Applicable . . .

Lee

. 130...

Bob Adkins 22-08-2003 05:02 PM

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:51:34 GMT, Axolotl wrote:

http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/P/plonk.html
or
http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?plonk

AFAIK, both definitions are a little off. "Plonk" is the sound of a
telephone slamming down, as in hanging up on someone in disgust. It is used
to indicate the plonker is sending the plonkee to the kill file. :-)

Bob

Axolotl 22-08-2003 05:32 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

yep, I didn't think much of the defintions that i posted but I couldn't
find much else at the time.
a better definition @ http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=plonk
I always thought it was the sound of something or someone hitting the
bottom of the garbage can.

Bob Adkins 22-08-2003 07:42 PM

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:31:45 GMT, Axolotl wrote:

yep, I didn't think much of the defintions that i posted but I couldn't
find much else at the time.
a better definition @ http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=plonk
I always thought it was the sound of something or someone hitting the
bottom of the garbage can.

Heh...a newbie or a lame oldie either. :-)

Yea, that definition works, but I have seen the term "plonk" for years
before Usenet. I'm saying the term "plonk" was originally borrowed from
phone lingo. But that was waaaaaaay back before the war. :-)

Bob

Hank 23-08-2003 08:13 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

I thought it was the sound an inebriated in-law made when they fell in
your pond ;~} ............. How was that for getting back on topic????

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Anne Lurie 23-08-2003 11:02 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

I can identify with that particular "plonk"!!! Actually, it was more like
the sound of a phone handset being slammed on a wooden desk because the
telemarketer at the other end of said phone did not recognize the name of
its company's chief competitor. (As in, "No, thanks, I don't need your DSL,
because I have RoadRunner." "What's RoadRunner?"

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

LeeAnne 27-08-2003 06:12 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

Um or the sound of something hitting the toilet water....
grin

LeeAnne

LeeAnne 28-08-2003 03:02 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

I think the sound of it hitting the fan is more like a 'whiiirrrrsplogsplat,
fit fit fit fit'
;-D

"dkat" wrote in message
t...
not the fan?! :)

Theo van Daele 28-08-2003 07:12 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

It was originally called that, but it was too hard to type ;-)

"LeeAnne" schreef in bericht

dkat 28-08-2003 09:02 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

I really really really wish you hadn't done that..... Serves me right but
now I have this awful visual image to go with the sound effect... DK

"LeeAnne" wrote in message
I think the sound of it hitting the fan is more like a

'whiiirrrrsplogsplat,
fit fit fit fit'
;-D

"dkat" wrote in message
t...
not the fan?! :)

LeeAnne 29-08-2003 02:22 PM

definition of the term *Plonk*

lol, sorry dkat :-)
Just remember to duck real fast if you ever hear that noise!