Old 26-08-2003, 01:42 AM
BenignVanilla

Default Are Aphids Bad?

My bro in law gave me a whole mess of water lettuce today. I was in a hurry
and dumped it all in, and then I notice they were all COVERED in aphids.

Am I in trouble?

BV.

Old 26-08-2003, 02:12 AM
K30a

BV wrote Am I in trouble?

Yes.
Big trouble.
evil chortle.

Get the lettuce out.
Sink it in a container.
Drown the suckers.
And hope they aren't setting
sail for your lily pads.

This time of year though always seems to
be high aphid time for me.
If they get on the lily pads, squish them and sweep
the bodies into the water for the fish to eat.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 26-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Nedra

naaaa, BV. That will be your fishies midnight snack!
Hose them off the plants first...

Nedra

Old 26-08-2003, 03:33 AM
Bob H

Ahhhh no not Aphids!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get the w/l out now, spray the lilies man
the battle stations....oh um wait...do spray them I found a product that is
made from some crushed shells comes in powder form...you mix and spray it on
wont hurt the fish or water only the aphids...there is another product made
from mint and something else (green container & pre mixed) but you can's use
it on w/l. Sorry I don't remember the names of either (all used up in my
successful battle)..I tried drowning, making them fish & bug snacks nothing
worked except the sprays but not before I lost my water hyacinth, fairy moss
& water lettuce not to mention quite a set back for my lilies...cause of
those little bas....um take care of them NOW or they will take care of your
pond plants.

Old 26-08-2003, 08:42 PM
NJ

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
My bro in law gave me a whole mess of water lettuce today. I was in a

hurry
and dumped it all in, and then I notice they were all COVERED in aphids.

Holy Cow! This is what destroyed ALL my water lettuce. Get rid of it all.
Hosing it off will not get all the aphids -- many will simply fly off and
return WITH ALL THEIR FRIENDS. My fish were totally disinterested in eating
them, and they couldn't have begun to keep up. Toss 'em all and hope they
leave your lilies alone!!!

NJ...shocked in zone 5b