Old 06-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Bette E.

Default (HELP) 2 many fish (dkat)

Dkat: I do not have any containers that would accomodate even 1/4 of
the water.
I have been runnig only the water fall since the end of June. I have 4
waterlilies and many other plants in the pond with the fish. The plants
(including a 5 foot tall Iris) are spectacular in size. I think my
bullfrog is keeping down the number of new fry. He is about the size of
a softball with legs. He's been in the pond for 3 years now. (He came
buried i a waterlily pot.) I use a doughnut ring heater and a 5 inch
air-stone during the winter months. I will try the screening for a net ,
as you suggested. The ammonia level is OK (for now, but I worry about it
increasing and getting a fish die off, when all the plants are cut and
placed on the bottom for the winter. Will this happen? Are there any
other suggestions out there??

(dkat said
I don't suppose you have a great many trash cans or such that you can
pump the water into from emptying the pond that you can then pump back
into the pond after the fish are caught? This is going to be stressful
to the fish no matter what you do I imagine. Is the pond one that you
could put a fairly large size of window screening in (giant net) that
the fish will have a harder time escaping from? I had to move two koi
from my upper pond to the lower one when the became too large to be
happy in the smaller area. They were slimy (literally and figuratively)
devils... I ended up partially emptying the pond and using a large piece
of netting. It was still difficult but doable. DK

Old 08-09-2003, 03:04 AM
dkat

In a previous Post (Cleaning Pond) Solo says that you don't really need to
save the water as long as you are matching PH and temperature... I trust
Solo's fish advice without question. Soooo....... If you have enough
containers (large trash cans, stock tank, kiddie pool) that will hold all
your fish then you can pump water from your pond into those and as soon as
the pond is refilled and brought back up to temp and PH (plus declorinated)
you can transfer wanted fish back into pond. I would be concerned about both
the stress to the fish and the possible damage to the plants on reading more
of your post. The minnow trap sounds like a far better idea to me
(somewhere here we just had a posting on how to make one). The large net I
had in mind (made out of plastic window screening) would I think risk your
plants.

I just want to put a big warning on putting the fish in a kiddie pool if
you have any raccoons around at all. I made that mistake once and the
raccoons had a feast. Kiddie pools are VERY raccoon friendly.