Old 12-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Bampa

Default UV Clarifier Orientation

I have been looking at many different brands f clarifiers for my 4000+
gal pond. Some of the more expensive larger units seem to specify
horizonal or vertical, but most basic units for 4000 gal ponds don't
reference the preferred orientation or the size of the units. I am
trying to figure where or how I would back fit a UV into my existing
some what cramped plumbing. Does it matter if they stand up or lie
down as long as the air gets out of them.

Also, I live in Minnesota, so I assume I would have to remove this
unit and take it indoors during Winter.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Sam Hopkins

Unless there's something I've missed there's no difference if it's laying
down or not. Perhaps if it is laying on it's side the waterproofing of the
bulb is exposed. For instance if it was up and down rain would hit the top
and then roll off the sides over any holes - kinda like a roof. If you lay
it on its side perhaps rain water could enter. A UV clarifier is just a
clear pipe with a UV light next to it. The water enters one side goes under
the UV light and then exits. You can build one yourself CHEAP.

Sam

Old 13-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Bampa

You mentioned that it is simple/CHEAP to build a clarifier.
Do you have a design plan or know a web site where I can get a design.
I am not afraid to build something, but I don't want to destroy the
parts I would need to buy.

Old 13-09-2003, 05:22 PM

get a small UV. use a separate small pump to pump water thru it and put it out of
the way... you dont have to put it inline with your big pump. Ingrid

Bampa wrote:

I have been looking at many different brands f clarifiers for my 4000+
gal pond. Some of the more expensive larger units seem to specify
horizonal or vertical, but most basic units for 4000 gal ponds don't
reference the preferred orientation or the size of the units. I am
trying to figure where or how I would back fit a UV into my existing
some what cramped plumbing. Does it matter if they stand up or lie
down as long as the air gets out of them.

Also, I live in Minnesota, so I assume I would have to remove this
unit and take it indoors during Winter.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 13-09-2003, 05:22 PM
dhponder

Here's a link to a DIY one:

http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg2.htm

Also a link to a DIY pond vac and stock tank filter system.

deanna

Old 13-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

dhponder writes:

Here's a link to a DIY one:

http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg2.htm

Nice.

The one I own (brand name long since faded away) uses a simpler method to seal
the quartz tube inside the PVC pipe. Its a potting compound that I would guess
is epoxy. So each end has the outer PVC pipe, the inner quartz sleeve and the
epoxy and no other plumbing parts. They must use something to keep the epoxy
from running into the unit maybe a thin PVC disc glued in with PVC cement? It
wouldn't have to be waterproof, only hold the viscous epoxy until it cures (5
minutes).

Also, I have heard but not confirmed that acrylic tubes work as well as quartz
at much lower cost. Though I wonder why UV manufacturers don't take advantage
of this if it is true (or do they?). Perhaps acrylic eventually degrades/clouds
when exposed to UV?

Old 13-09-2003, 11:02 PM

yep.

Andrew Burgess wrote:
Perhaps acrylic eventually degrades/clouds
when exposed to UV?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

touch their orientation as it were the coffee Jason U. Gonyou Ponds 0 08-11-2007 04:56 PM
Birdhouse orientation? Gene Texas 0 24-03-2007 06:17 PM
Raised Beds Orientation? Fred Le Blanc Gardening 2 30-03-2003 09:56 AM