Old 12-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default UV Lights

The s.o.'s parents keep insisting that I will need a UV light on my
pond. I keep telling them that I don't want one. (They're willing to
buy it.) The pond is clear now and has been except for the first algae
blush that one gets with new water/new pond. (Pond's been in for three
months - fish are healthy, plants are happy, and all the other critters
seem to be ecstatic.) Is there any other reason to get a UV filter
aside for algae control?

I've been more or less told I'm stubborn. (Well, yeah. *grin*) My
feeling is that a UV filter will kill things other than bad algae and if
one does not need one to control algae, that they should be avoided.

What say you all?

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 13-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Hank

Susan, I use one early in the season to control that first algae
bloom. After my plants and barley straw kick in I store it away till
next year. It is nice not to have to deal with pea soup and early in
the season there isn't too much "good stuff" to kill anyway.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 13-09-2003, 05:22 PM

nope
nope

Ingrid

"Susan H. Simko" wrote:
Is there any other reason to get a UV filter
aside for algae control?

I've been more or less told I'm stubborn. (Well, yeah. *grin*) My
feeling is that a UV filter will kill things other than bad algae and if
one does not need one to control algae, that they should be avoided.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Sam Hopkins

Yeah it'll stop bacterial blooms and help kill ich parasites. It doesnt kill
anything you need for your pond.

Everyone who's gotten a UV light usually posts, "I CANT BELIEVE I'VE LIVED
SO LONG WITHOUT ONE."

Old 15-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Andrew Burgess

"Sam Hopkins" writes:

Yeah it'll stop bacterial blooms and help kill ich parasites. It doesnt kill
anything you need for your pond.

How can it tell?

Old 16-09-2003, 04:32 PM
mad

that is a sensible idea. if i were to have a UV, that is the way i'd do it.
mad
--
"If someone complains that punning is the lowest from of humor,
you can tell them that poetry is verse."