GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   frogs! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/43103-frogs.html)

Donna 15-09-2003 06:02 PM

frogs!

This morning I caught and removed the 4th bullfrog of this season. I
don't remember having any last year -- this is only my second year for
the pond. We have seen frogs eat a variety of creatures this year.
The first one ate toads and two of my large fish. This last frog ate
a field sparrow.

Besides placing a net over the pond (I don't even want to do this with
lilies and rocks everywhere -- it would look bad and I don't even
think work), does anyone have any ideas -- or what has worked for you
all?

Donna

Jim Humphries 15-09-2003 06:32 PM

frogs!

Actually, netting seems to disappear from view when installed. I resisted
netting my pond for too long until I got tired of the depredation. The
edges of our pond are about 6" or more above the ground.
--
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
om...

K30a 15-09-2003 06:32 PM

frogs!

Hi Donna,

Bullfrogs just don't take the hint
to leave.
Your pond supplies and attracts food
for them.
Predators are effective but how to tell
a heron, eat only the bullfrogs please?

Catching and releasing are your best options.
Tedious but effective.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

K30a 15-09-2003 09:32 PM

frogs!

Rich wrote
frogs legs are good.....

That would be your basic human predator.
;-)

Donna 16-09-2003 11:42 AM

frogs!

Rich Conley wrote in message ...
frogs legs are good.....

My Mom told me if I had been putting their legs in the freezer I would
almost have dinner by now ; ) And I dunno really about frog legs --
but the frog liked toad legs!

Donna

mad 16-09-2003 04:42 PM

frogs!

how do you fasten down the netting so that nothing gets under it? with my
above-ground stocktank pond, all i'd need is a drawstring. but i can't
figure out how all y'all do it.
mad
--
Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

Rich Conley 18-09-2003 08:02 PM

frogs!

yuppers... They are good..you can even buy frog spears at the local
wallmart.and unlike the leopard frogs and smaller frogs...it seems that
the bullfrog population is doing fine.

Donna 19-09-2003 01:42 PM

frogs!

Well -- another one is here and I had to dip out a dead mockingbird
yesterday. I am thinking the frog grabbed it and then decided it was
too large. It was so gross to peek out of the back door and see a
wing sticking up in the middle of the lily pads -- ick!

My favorite kind of frog -- the ones made out of concrete!

Donna