Old 15-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Donna

Default frogs!

This morning I caught and removed the 4th bullfrog of this season. I
don't remember having any last year -- this is only my second year for
the pond. We have seen frogs eat a variety of creatures this year.
The first one ate toads and two of my large fish. This last frog ate
a field sparrow.

Besides placing a net over the pond (I don't even want to do this with
lilies and rocks everywhere -- it would look bad and I don't even
think work), does anyone have any ideas -- or what has worked for you
all?

Donna
Old 15-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Jim Humphries

Actually, netting seems to disappear from view when installed. I resisted
netting my pond for too long until I got tired of the depredation. The
edges of our pond are about 6" or more above the ground.
--
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
om...

Old 15-09-2003, 06:32 PM
K30a

Hi Donna,

Bullfrogs just don't take the hint
to leave.
Your pond supplies and attracts food
for them.
Predators are effective but how to tell
a heron, eat only the bullfrogs please?

Catching and releasing are your best options.
Tedious but effective.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 15-09-2003, 09:32 PM
K30a

Rich wrote
frogs legs are good.....

That would be your basic human predator.
;-)

Old 16-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Donna

Rich Conley wrote in message ...
frogs legs are good.....

My Mom told me if I had been putting their legs in the freezer I would
almost have dinner by now ; ) And I dunno really about frog legs --
but the frog liked toad legs!

Donna
Old 16-09-2003, 04:42 PM
mad

how do you fasten down the netting so that nothing gets under it? with my
above-ground stocktank pond, all i'd need is a drawstring. but i can't
figure out how all y'all do it.
mad
--
Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

Old 18-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Rich Conley

yuppers... They are good..you can even buy frog spears at the local
wallmart.and unlike the leopard frogs and smaller frogs...it seems that
the bullfrog population is doing fine.

Old 19-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Donna

Well -- another one is here and I had to dip out a dead mockingbird
yesterday. I am thinking the frog grabbed it and then decided it was
too large. It was so gross to peek out of the back door and see a
wing sticking up in the middle of the lily pads -- ick!

My favorite kind of frog -- the ones made out of concrete!

Donna

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM