Old 20-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Thenewguy

Default plants

hey, im going to start getting ready for winter within the next month or
so..... i need some info.. i have some hardy lillies in my pond, they are
not in pots of soil. I have a small pond thats completley natural,( no
liner) can i put them in that pond over the winter? or should i set up one
of my tanks in the basement and and the plants off and leave the rootsand
bulbs in their pots in the tank?? What should i do with my fish also... i
have 2 very large gold fish and 1 koi....2 bass, 2 sunnies and 2
catfish....all hardy fish..is it worth taking them out since im taking out
the plants? how should i go about this?

Old 20-09-2003, 11:12 PM
K30a

Snow wrote
hey, im going to start getting ready for winter within the next month or
so

What are your winter conditions like?
Or what zone are you in and general area of the country?
Here in zone 7a, SE WA state, we get a week of pretty cold weather, 2 to 15
degrees and ice can get as deep as 3 to 4 inches on the pond. But the rest of
the winter is fairly mild.
Nothing like the weather the midwest gets or the poor east last year.
So it makes a difference in how deal with your pond.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 20-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Thenewguy

our winters our pretty extreme sometimes...im in upstate NY... we get any
where from -5 to 25 degrees in the winter...we got 2 snow storms that dumped
2 feet or more of snow on us. and last winter i got nearly a foot of ice..

Old 21-09-2003, 02:43 AM
K30a

Wow. Your winters are a lot more severe
than ours!
I'd put the plants on the bottom if your pond is
deeper than one foot.
If possible I'd probably bring the fish in.
Do you have an aquarium with filter and a lid?
You can also put them in a stock tank in an unheated area. If the water stays
below 55 degrees they basically snooze away the winter.

In our area I use a bubbler to keep a hole open in the ice that we get during
our cold snap. Power is fairly cheap over here in comparison to the rest of the
country. The hole helps vent any gases that come from decaying stuff in the
pond. Those gases will kill fish and critters.

Hopefully some east coasters will chime in and give some more suggestions!