Old 22-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Paul

Default Veggie Filter and winter

What happens over the winter when the plants die back or have to be removed
to shelter, does this have an effect on your pond filtration?

Paul

Old 22-09-2003, 05:02 PM
K30a

Paul wrote What happens over the winter when the plants die back or have to
be removed
to shelter, does this have an effect on your pond filtration?

Filtration doesn't happen during winter.
The biobugs shut down at about 40 degrees.
The fish shut down too. They swim slowly around when undisturbed but their
digestive systems slow way down. That is why we don't feed them after the pond
water gets below 55 degrees. Anything they eat will just sit there for the most
part.

In the spring algae will be the first thing to get going. The fish will graze
on the algae. I toss in watercress and the fish will nibble on that. What
doesn't get eaten will start growing. The other plants start growing soon
thereafter. I will sometimes have some muzziness in the spring from algae
growth. I start my filter and waterfall going about then.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 23-09-2003, 04:02 PM

I pull all the tender plants out and put them in my basement under lights. I have
4-5 hanging baskets I bought at Steins, etc. and they dont do very well and I toss
them in spring and start over. But the core plants, the cyperus, the water celery
all survive. I have a large patch of water celery growing around the pond at my
mothers, so I dig it up, rinse the roots and use that as start up as well in spring.

my filter is above the pond and running it cools the water pretty fast, so I pull the
plants when the water temp in the pond is reliably under 55oF around the time of the
first frost... and when I am not feeding the koi. at that point they are not making
so much wastes. I then slip the hanging pump into the 5 gallon bucket filter with
mesh over the top and use the short hose directs the water back into the pond
aerating and keeping the water ice free. the 5 gallon bucket seems to do the trick
even with no UV going. it is in spring when I am most likely to see some ammonia in
the pond ... before the plants are really up and running well. This year I am going
to keep more of the plants fed and healthy inside so I have more to put out right
away. in spring I find string algae doing well in the empty veggie filter.
Ingrid

"Paul" wrote:
What happens over the winter when the plants die back or have to be removed
to shelter, does this have an effect on your pond filtration?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.