GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Overwintering Hyacinths (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/44079-overwintering-hyacinths.html)

Tbumpy 25-09-2003 11:34 PM

Overwintering Hyacinths

Has anyone tried to overwinter hyacinths? I've read to put them in a shallow
bowl with aquatic planting soil on the bottom and lots of water so that it's a
thin mud consistency. I would like to be able to save some of them since they
can be a bit expensive to buy. Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance

Tina

jammer 26-09-2003 12:31 AM

Overwintering Hyacinths

On 25 Sep 2003 21:54:31 GMT, (Tbumpy) wrote:

Has anyone tried to overwinter hyacinths? I've read to put them in a shallow
bowl with aquatic planting soil on the bottom and lots of water so that it's a
thin mud consistency. I would like to be able to save some of them since they
can be a bit expensive to buy. Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance

Tina

I dont know where you are.

I am in zone 7. I tie 3 to a brick and sink it in the pond. 1 or 2
survive with a teeny bit of green and go on to make many more.

Robert Neary 26-09-2003 02:20 AM

Overwintering Hyacinths

We live in Oregon, use Hyacinths in the veggie filter. They don't make it
through the winter so I just compost the dying plants. In the spring I simply
buy one plant for a few dollars... in no time I have an abundence.
Robert
www.nearyonline.com/pond

In article ,
says...

Bill Sanchez 26-09-2003 02:45 AM

Overwintering Hyacinths

Just plant them in a pot with no drainage hole like any other plant, but in
clay dirt and place the plant on a southern window that gets some sunlight.
Keep soil soggy and they should easily make it till spring. I have had good
success with this method.

jammer 26-09-2003 05:49 AM

Overwintering Hyacinths

I dont have a southern window, just west, but i think i will try one
like this...

Mickey 26-09-2003 12:02 PM

Overwintering Hyacinths

I grow plants in my Aquariums and have a high amount of lighting. 100 watts
of compact fluorescent over a 30 gallon tank and 150 over a 90. I lowered
the water level for the winter and stuck some Hyacinths and water lettuce in
the tanks. They both are growing way better than they did on my pond. They
are actually reproducing, that never happened in my pond. I live in
Minnesota Zone 4.

Heather 28-09-2003 09:02 PM

Overwintering Hyacinths

Bill:

What zone are you in???

Just wondering how much light you get in December.

Heather
Zone 5

jammer 28-09-2003 11:26 PM

Overwintering Hyacinths

When frost threatens or they start looking bad.

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:37:53 -0400, "Heather"
wrote:

At what water temp do you do this and how deep do you sink them??

.. .

jammer 28-09-2003 11:26 PM

Overwintering Hyacinths

Sorry....and i think the pond is about 18 inches deep

jammer 28-09-2003 11:37 PM

Overwintering Hyacinths