Old 25-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Tbumpy

Default Overwintering Hyacinths

Has anyone tried to overwinter hyacinths? I've read to put them in a shallow
bowl with aquatic planting soil on the bottom and lots of water so that it's a
thin mud consistency. I would like to be able to save some of them since they
can be a bit expensive to buy. Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance

Tina
Old 26-09-2003, 02:20 AM
Robert Neary

We live in Oregon, use Hyacinths in the veggie filter. They don't make it
through the winter so I just compost the dying plants. In the spring I simply
buy one plant for a few dollars... in no time I have an abundence.
Robert
www.nearyonline.com/pond

In article ,
says...

Old 26-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Bill Sanchez

Just plant them in a pot with no drainage hole like any other plant, but in
clay dirt and place the plant on a southern window that gets some sunlight.
Keep soil soggy and they should easily make it till spring. I have had good
success with this method.

Old 26-09-2003, 05:49 AM
jammer

I dont have a southern window, just west, but i think i will try one
like this...

Old 26-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Mickey

I grow plants in my Aquariums and have a high amount of lighting. 100 watts
of compact fluorescent over a 30 gallon tank and 150 over a 90. I lowered
the water level for the winter and stuck some Hyacinths and water lettuce in
the tanks. They both are growing way better than they did on my pond. They
are actually reproducing, that never happened in my pond. I live in
Minnesota Zone 4.

Old 28-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Heather

Bill:

What zone are you in???

Just wondering how much light you get in December.

Heather
Zone 5

Old 28-09-2003, 11:26 PM
jammer

Sorry....and i think the pond is about 18 inches deep

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:37:53 -0400, "Heather"

wrote:

At what water temp do you do this and how deep do you sink them??

Old 28-09-2003, 11:37 PM
jammer

Overwintering Hyacinths Tbumpy Ponds 0 25-09-2003 11:32 PM
Water Hyacinths ~ jan Ponds 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
hyacinths Sabaa Mundia Gardening 1 27-03-2003 06:32 PM
Hyacinths in New York Polar Gardening 4 25-03-2003 05:20 PM
Grape hyacinths JennyC United Kingdom 13 22-03-2003 11:29 AM