Old 01-10-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Is It Time for Winter Questions?

Can we ask?
Dare we repeat?

BV.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

You can always ask, though some of us may be in denial at this time. ;o)
~ jan

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:47:49 -0400, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

Can we ask?
Dare we repeat?

BV.

Old 02-10-2003, 05:32 AM
_Lil_Lamb

Yes, please!!! I am a new ponder, and this is my first 'pond winter'. I live in central
Texas, so I am wondering what to do with my pond for the winter.

I only have a couple of thousand posts from this group, and probably missed lots of great
information on winterizing. Any input is appreciated!
--
DeAnna

Drop "BYE" to email me.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
Can we ask?
Dare we repeat?

BV.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:05 AM
K30a

Hi DeAnna!!

Here's a collection of tips from rec.ponds over the years for winter ponding.
Your area's conditions are your first consideration.

Winter Pond Check List

Tropicals should be removed and wintered over indoors or discarded.

After the first good frost trim up as much dead foligage as you can.

Remove leaves as they blow into the pond or spread nets over the pond to catch
them (anchor securely). Do not let netted leaves dip into the pond.

Stop feeding fish when the water temperature reaches about 55 degrees. The fish
go into a kind of fishy hibernation and will hang out near the bottom.

Choose a method to keep a hole open in any ice forming.
This allows for gases from decomposing plant and fish waste to escape and
oxygen to enter the pond.

An air pump with an airstone works well and seems to be the most energy
efficient method.

De-icers float on the surface and switch on when the water gets cold enough to
form ice.

The pump can be raised off the bottom and the flow directed up to the surface
of the water.

If the pump is turned off remove the pump, clean it and store it for the winter
according to the directions that came with the pump. It can also stay in the
pond overwinter which is what I do.

Turn off the filter at about 40 degree water temperature, clean it and have it
ready to go in the spring. Never turn on a filter that has been sitting over
the winter without cleaning it first - noxious dead bio bugs will enter the
pond.

Running a waterfall during winter can be very pretty but....
ice freezing can redirect the water out of the pond, a strong current is hard
for fish to swim against and doesn't allow them a layer of 'warmer' water near
the bottom of the pond.

Ponders in the really frozen zones bring in their fish (the depth of your pond
is an important factor).
A large stock tank is a wise investment. Add oxygen with a bubbler and net the
tank to prevent fish from jumping out. Do not feed the fish if the water
temperature is below 55 degrees. If the water is warmer a filter will be needed
for fish that are fed over the winter.
(A stock tank is also handy for quarantining new fish before adding them to
your pond.)

A winter pond can be very pretty and enjoyable if you are prepared.

Fussing around the pond in 2 degree weather is *not* fun, been there, done
that.

k30a

Old 04-10-2003, 04:36 AM
Brad Stamm

Each fall I post this recommendation. Please consider covering your pond if
it is less than 5000-10,000 gallons and freezes over. Small ponds with many
fish may not freeze if they are 4 ft. deep but your fish will be very
stressed in the spring. Each year our local pond friends have several fish
that die from the stress. I have always covered my pond and in 4 years with
13 fish (52fish/years experience!) we have NEVER had a fish die.
Please look at my web site for a simple method and plans to cover your pond.
This is not a commercial trick but I do list some links to material
suppliers I have used. You are of course free to get materials where ever
you want.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~rbstamm/koidome.htm

If you want a good method to orally medicate one of two fish at a time check
this page out. It uses Cipro and frozen peas, works great and cheep!
http://pw1.netcom.com/~rbstamm/koi_medication.htm

Brad Stamm