GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   floating liner (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/45622-floating-liner.html)

Lydia 17-10-2003 05:02 PM

floating liner

I think this is one of those recurring questions that I don't remember the
solution for... My newborn pond is bloating! The constant Western
Washington winter rains have started and water is collecting under the pond
making the liner bubble. What do I do? Any websites you can point me to?

Thanks,
Lydia

Iain Miller 17-10-2003 05:22 PM

floating liner

"Lydia" wrote in message
I think this is one of those recurring questions that I don't remember the
solution for... My newborn pond is bloating! The constant Western
Washington winter rains have started and water is collecting under the

pond
making the liner bubble. What do I do? Any websites you can point me to?

Basically you have to drain the excess water away......you can do this by
either digging some kind of soak away under the pond or, in extreme cases,
you have to build a chamber under the liner with a pump in it that switches
on & off based on the level of water in the chamber...some kind of float
switch. Is your pond completely "in ground" - is the land its on flat, is
there anywhere for the water to go?

I.

Lydia 17-10-2003 07:12 PM

floating liner

"Iain Miller" wrote in message

Basically you have to drain the excess water away......you can do this by
either digging some kind of soak away under the pond or, in extreme cases,
you have to build a chamber under the liner with a pump in it that

switches
on & off based on the level of water in the chamber...some kind of float
switch. Is your pond completely "in ground" - is the land its on flat, is
there anywhere for the water to go?

I.

The pond is completely in ground. We have about a foot of good topsoil and
then after that is tough clay-like fill dirt so I don't think .... well
obviously.... it drains very well. The yard is sloped eeeeeeeever so
slightly down away from our house. At the back of the yard is a 5 foot rock
wall. Beyond that is woods and further beyond is wetlands.

Thanks for the help,
Lydia

KenCo 17-10-2003 08:12 PM

floating liner

Lydia wrote:

I think this is one of those recurring questions that I don't remember the
solution for... My newborn pond is bloating! The constant Western
Washington winter rains have started and water is collecting under the pond
making the liner bubble. What do I do? Any websites you can point me to?

Thanks,
Lydia

you need to raise the pond edge about 6" so it
will have more down pressure to keep the water
from "under" the liner.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced ;)

MooKitty 21-10-2003 06:32 AM

floating liner

Thanks very much. For now, until we get a dry day to do some good digging,
we've fished a short hose down to the bottom under the liner and attached it
to a little pump that pumps the water out. This is DEFINITELY a short term
solution. I don't want to squat out there for an hour every night after
work getting drenched trying to drain the pond!

Thanks again for helping!
Lydia