Old 28-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Chad

Default Turtles and Frogs - mother nature is cool

I happened to catch a show featuring amazing animals and they featured
the North American Painted Turtle and a frog that I cannot remember its
species. Anyway, they made the amazing animal list because of how they
hibernate. The painted turtle (especially babies) usually hibernate in
frozen ice. They pretty much slow there heart to an almost stop. They
can do this for 3 months! Then, the frog they featured apparently
releases some chemical in its body around vital organs which protect it
against frostbite/freezing, and they hiberate only covered with leaves.
Their hearts apparently stop beating, then during thaw a chemical
reaction occurs and they come back to life....

...you know they may have been budwiser frogs --thus alcohol may be the
chemical that is keeping them from freezing.. hmm.. I may need to try
this

If anyone else saw this show -- it was on either on Learning or
Discovery Channel I think, please let me know the name. I would like to
watch the whole thing if it is on again.