Old 17-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Gunnar

Default shipping fish

I need to have some fish shipped from private pond in Fl. to RI anyone have
any ideas. Person I am buying them from said she talked to pet store and
they told her had to have oxygen to ship them . Cant they just get bagged
and put in Styrofoam cooler and sent overnight?

Old 18-02-2004, 12:58 AM
RichToyBox

All fish shipments should be made with oxygen over the water, but you can
get by with short 30 minute or so trips with air only. The respiration of
the fish generates CO2 and uses O2. With plenty of O2, the fish will not
suffocate, and some of the CO2 will be displaced to the O2 layer above. If
the CO2 builds up, the pH falls due to the production of carbonic acid.
Though the fish may survive the trip, the pH difference between the bag and
the pond will cause severe distress if the water is not gradually diluted
with pond water. Gradual dilution will raise the pH making the ammonia in
the bag very toxic. I prefer to transport fish with oxygen and Amquel or
another ammonia binder/neutralizer.
--
RichToyBox

Old 18-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Gunnar

I understand this so another ideas on how to ship or who to talk to at
petstores if I don't figure a way 70 good fish will be disposed of.

Old 19-02-2004, 12:34 AM
RichToyBox

You may want to email hculpepper at bellsouth dot net. He is the contact
for the local koi club in the Orlando area.
--
RichToyBox

newsHyYb.359$f23.186@lakeread02...

Old 19-02-2004, 01:42 AM

call Jo Ann and she will tell you how to send fish. 1-251-649-4790
INgrid

"Gunnar" wrote:

I need to have some fish shipped from private pond in Fl. to RI anyone have
any ideas. Person I am buying them from said she talked to pet store and
they told her had to have oxygen to ship them . Cant they just get bagged
and put in Styrofoam cooler and sent overnight?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 19-02-2004, 02:26 AM

in a closed bag the ammonia builds up fast driving pH up, but the fish are using
oxygen putting out CO2 which dissolves in the water and that drives pH down so
ammonia is less toxic. open the bag and the CO2 is blown off, pH jumps fast and
ammonia is toxic.
not to mention, when Jo Ann opens up the bags she found very very early on that
putting tank water into the bag resulted in something very foul smelling coming out.
so it just isnt a good idea to open the bag before the fish is going to be moved out.
the pH difference is not what happens in the bag, but from where the fish came to and
where the fish is going to be.
after a trip of 12 hours, fish require a salt dip to replenish electrolytes.
INgrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:
All fish shipments should be made with oxygen over the water, but you can
get by with short 30 minute or so trips with air only. The respiration of
the fish generates CO2 and uses O2. With plenty of O2, the fish will not
suffocate, and some of the CO2 will be displaced to the O2 layer above. If
the CO2 builds up, the pH falls due to the production of carbonic acid.
Though the fish may survive the trip, the pH difference between the bag and
the pond will cause severe distress if the water is not gradually diluted
with pond water. Gradual dilution will raise the pH making the ammonia in
the bag very toxic. I prefer to transport fish with oxygen and Amquel or
another ammonia binder/neutralizer.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 26-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Sam Hopkins

I get fish sent to me all the time. You would not believe how many fish they
can cram in a 16" X 8" box. One box holds 100 1.5-2" bluebills.

The hatchery puts the fish in a bag, fills the bag with water, places a
coldpack under the bad to keep it cold and puts it in a Styrofoam cooler and
sends it. I get it the next day and everyone is happy.

By keeping the water cold you lower the metabolism of the fish. That means
less O2 consumption.

Sam

shipping fish Gunnar Ponds 0 17-02-2004 11:19 PM
Free Plants-You Pay Shipping-USA Only Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
Free Plants-$4 shipping-USA only Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:08 AM
Methods of shipping trees Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 28-03-2003 01:08 AM
Free Shipping at Greenwood Nursery! (Excluding Alaska & Hawaii) Earl Buchan Gardening 0 24-01-2003 07:13 PM