Old 22-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Jessica

Default uv sterilization

We have lots of algea and I'm considering a uv clarifier. Any suggestions
on a brand? Aqua and Smart seem to look like good ones. We have a pool
that is 15' x 15' x 30".

thanks,

Jessica

Old 22-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Ka30P

Hi Jessica,

I'll let someone answer the brand question as I don't have a uv. But I'll post
the algae primer fyi.

Algae fighting tips
~ Nutrients for algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized run off,
rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with
1,000 gallons) and *not* overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much
feeding is probably responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by
too much decaying plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water.
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk and
convert fishy ammonia waste.
~ build a veggie filter, to run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
many rec.ponders use A
HREF="http://united-tech.com"http://united-tech.com/A
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$.
~ patience and time ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 22-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Ka30P

Update on the sludge eater stuff.
Went back to their webpage and found a
specific link for it.
http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html

kathy :-)
Old 22-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Green water or string algae or side soft algae? UV takes care of green
water only.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 22-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Gale Pearce

If you are talking about stringy or mossy algae, a UV clarifier will not do
anything for you- it only works for "suspended" algae bloom - a bacteria or
sludge eating supplement will help with the first 1, actually both types of
algae - a balanced pond with a bio filter large enough for the pond and your
fish load does what a UV does and more
Gale :~)

Old 24-02-2004, 04:06 AM
Jessica

Thanks to all that replied.

It's green water. Like Pea Soup. The pond is 15'x15'x2.5' (about 4000
gallons). We have a homemade bio filter, using lava rocks and mechanical
filters. There are a lot of pecan trees around the pond, but it still gets
lots of sun. No lilies or plant cover because I've used chemicals to treat
the algae in the past and it will kill most aqueous plants.

I think a uv filter is worth it, since this happens rapidly and about twice
a year we have to drain the pond and vacuum the algae from the bottom. This
in the Alabama and the pecan blooms and leaves are difficult to keep out of
the water.

.. .

Old 24-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Hal

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:18:21 -0600, "Jessica"
wrote:

It's green water. Like Pea Soup. The pond is 15'x15'x2.5' (about 4000
gallons). We have a homemade bio filter, using lava rocks and mechanical
filters. There are a lot of pecan trees around the pond, but it still gets
lots of sun. No lilies or plant cover because I've used chemicals to treat
the algae in the past and it will kill most aqueous plants.

I think a uv filter is worth it, since this happens rapidly and about twice
a year we have to drain the pond and vacuum the algae from the bottom. This
in the Alabama and the pecan blooms and leaves are difficult to keep out of
the water.

Don't know what chemical you might have used for algae, but here is a
note I kept from the year I fought string algae:
Aluminum Sulfate 2.66 ounces per 1000 gal. (4 oz per 1500 gal.) It's
20 ppm, which is the dose recommended by the USDA. Reduces KH
removes, phosphates causes particles to coagulate.
This is only a temporary treatment for algae. It clumps the algae, so
they die, release their nutrients back into the water, to feed a
renewed algae bloom. A permanent solution is to remove the excess
nutrients, either by growing lots of plants, or by having a large
biofilter, or both. So it's somewhat futile to use alum, unless you
have the plants and biofiltration in place.

I found a UV light helps and so does Pond-Zyme, or a comparable
product to help decay the stuff that drops to the bottom.

Regards,

Hal
Old 24-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Hal

wrote:

[...]

Soil sterilization and mosquitos Sailor Edible Gardening 6 06-07-2007 03:18 PM
Soil sterilization and mosquitos Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 06-07-2007 02:38 AM
Soil Sterilization Martin Bonsai 3 20-11-2005 03:30 PM
Pond Lights, Uv Air Sterilization www.eBayelk.com Ponds (alternative) 0 15-04-2005 11:38 PM
TSP for tool sterilization? Diana Kulaga Orchids 11 23-03-2003 05:44 PM