Old 23-02-2004, 06:02 AM
THE Old Man

Default GCFI

I have an electric outlet on my patio. Is there a way to tell if it a
GCFI or not?

Thanks,

dd
Old 23-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Jim Humphries

There is a little extra button on the outlet beside each plug point.
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

Old 23-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Gale Pearce

OR - you may have a "GFIC" circuit breaker in your electrical panel for that
circuit - then you may not have a reset button on on the outlet
Gale :~)

Old 23-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Steve J. Noll

But if it's a 'regular' outlet downstream of a Ground Fault
Interruptor outlet or circuit breaker, and no one put the appropriate
sticker on it, you can't tell by looking.
The safest way to be really sure is to buy a $6 "AC Outlet Analyzer"
(#22-141) from Radio Shack. It has a test button for GFIs.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=22-141

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:10:54 GMT, "Jim Humphries"
wrote:

There is a little extra button on the outlet beside each plug point.
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC
"THE Old Man" wrote in message
.. .
I have an electric outlet on my patio. Is there a way to tell if it a
GCFI or not?

Thanks,

dd

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California

Old 23-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Bob H

Or you could stand in a puddle of water and stick a knife in it :-) o.k. I
know that is warped I vote for the outlet analyzer, even @ $20 is a bargain
:-)

wrote:

There is a little extra button on the outlet beside each plug point.
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC
.. .

Old 23-02-2004, 05:34 PM
PlainBill

I use a small lightbulb wired from live to ground on a plug. Plug it
into an outlet and if the flashes briefly, you have a GFCI circuit.
If it doesn't come on at all, you've got an open ground.

PlainBill

Old 24-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Pond Newbie

But if it's a 'regular' outlet downstream of a Ground Fault
Interruptor outlet or circuit breaker, and no one put the appropriate
sticker on it, you can't tell by looking.

That is the way ours are. The GFCI outlet is in the garage, but all the outside outlets
are on that circuit.

DeAnna

--
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-
then you may be able to email me.