GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Koi Breeding Idear (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/53632-koi-breeding-idear.html)

BenignVanilla 25-02-2004 02:56 PM

Koi Breeding Idear

OK, so I was thinking...Jim made the interesting point that with my pond
full of minnows, I probably have slim to no chance of my Koi/Goldfish from
pulling off a spawning. So I was thinking, what if I moved some Koi to the
VF? It's shallow, only 18 inches deep or so. I was thinking they could spawn
in the VF, and then I'll move them back...and...uh...this is just
stupid...forget it.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Bonnie 25-02-2004 03:34 PM

Koi Breeding Idear

BenignVanilla wrote:
OK, so I was thinking...Jim made the interesting point that with my pond
full of minnows, I probably have slim to no chance of my Koi/Goldfish from
pulling off a spawning. So I was thinking, what if I moved some Koi to the
VF? It's shallow, only 18 inches deep or so. I was thinking they could spawn
in the VF, and then I'll move them back...and...uh...this is just
stupid...forget it.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

I think your koi, if they decided to spawn, would tear up
your veggie filter in short order. If they decided they
didn't like the veggie filter, it's very possible that they
would jump.
I must say that my fish have spawned with a large number of
rosie reds in the same pond. True, I don't have a hugh
number of survivors but I do have more than I want every year.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Lee B. 25-02-2004 08:41 PM

Koi Breeding Idear

You would probably do better by adding some spawning media to the pond, and
removing it to the veggie filter as soon as "the deed is done". String mop
heads, nylon rope that has been untwisted to make a fuzzy mess (secure one
end first, though) and similar things can be used to encourage breeding.
Once the spawn is over, promptly remove the media to a safe area. Your
chances of survivors will be greatly enhanced.

Caveat: be careful what you wish for - you may get it G!

Lee

BenignVanilla 26-02-2004 01:28 PM

Koi Breeding Idear

"Lee B." wrote in message
You would probably do better by adding some spawning media to the pond,

and
removing it to the veggie filter as soon as "the deed is done". String mop
heads, nylon rope that has been untwisted to make a fuzzy mess (secure one
end first, though) and similar things can be used to encourage breeding.
Once the spawn is over, promptly remove the media to a safe area. Your
chances of survivors will be greatly enhanced.

snip

I think this year, I may just let it all be. I am sure I will be very busy
with getting the VF jump started, the leaves pulled out, etc. And then there
is that slow leak in the stream. As much as I like to, I just don't have the
time to play surrogate spawner. LOL.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

~ jan JJsPond.us 01-03-2004 06:19 PM

Koi Breeding Idear

I think this year, I may just let it all be. I am sure I will be very busy
with getting the VF jump started, the leaves pulled out, etc. And then there
is that slow leak in the stream. As much as I like to, I just don't have the
time to play surrogate spawner. LOL.
BV.

Wise man. When I want babies I put in a few water hyacinths during "that
time of the year" and it works like an aphrodisiac on my koi. They usually
spawn in 12 hours, I just have to remove it quick enough before they eat
eggs & hyacinths.

Btw, I've only done this once, finding homes for all the babies was almost
impossible, but EVERYONE should go through this once, RIGHT?!!!!!

I love the fish having kids, but have found more satisfaction, less work,
plus worth money or store credit, in breeding my fantail goldfish. ~ jan

BenignVanilla 02-03-2004 07:19 PM

Koi Breeding Idear

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
[...]

I've had a few requests for some fish this year from some friend and family
that had a loss or two, so I am not too concerned about an over-abundance.
It's those damn minnows that are going to be an issue...I know it.

BV.

~ jan JJsPond.us 03-03-2004 04:07 AM

Koi Breeding Idear

I've had a few requests for some fish this year from some friend and family
that had a loss or two, so I am not too concerned about an over-abundance.
It's those damn minnows that are going to be an issue...I know it.
BV.

You've got a head start. I think I ended up populating quite a few ponds
with my fish's get and I know some of the eggs were responsible for the
building of large pond, instead of the water trough they originally went
home to. ;o)

~ jan