GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   waterlilies and their pots, some potting notes :) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/54233-re-waterlilies-their-pots-some-potting-notes.html)

~ Windsong ~ 03-03-2004 03:48 AM

waterlilies and their pots, some potting notes :)

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
Carol, Do you have a Dollar Store nearby? I have about 10
$1 pots that look like a wash basin. Perfect for lilies.

============================
Yes Nedra, we have one of these stores down in town. I will definitely
check them out on my next trip to town. I think I know the low basins you
mean. Sometimes Big Lots here also have them for $1.19 or something like
that. Thanks for reminding me.
--
Carol...
My website:

~ Windsong ~ 03-03-2004 04:03 AM

waterlilies and their pots, some potting notes :)

wrote in message
mine do fine across from the waterfall. the water is undulating, I am

sure there is
spray on the leaves. but it isnt chlorinated water like from a sprinkler.
I only have solid containers, no slits, no holes and my lilies do great.

my limiting
factor is sunlight and space, so I only have two lilies. this year looks

like I am
moving one of them to my mother's pond since my texas dawn is so huge.

Ingrid
===========================
We have plenty of sun but I also had to give away one HUGE monstrous white
water lily 2 years ago. It took over 1/3 of the surface of the 2000 gallon
pond. It was just overwhelming. The lady who took it had a 5,000 gallon
pond and loved it.

jammer 03-03-2004 04:04 AM

waterlilies and their pots, some potting notes :)

You know what, i saw those very bowls/basins and wondered if i should
repot my lilly plant....

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:35:11 -0600, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

hlink.net...

~ Windsong ~ 03-03-2004 04:05 AM

waterlilies and their pots, some potting notes :)

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
Being a cheapo DIY'er I use whatever I can get my hands on cheap. My
potting
contianers range from recycled pots that I have bought landscaping in, to

stack of waste baskets I found last year for a few cents a piece at a

local
gadgets, crap you don't need and beyond store. As for media, I use a

mixture
of pea gravel and larger rocks for all of my plants.

==========================
I am also a bit frugal and buy most things on sale or dirt cheap at flea
markets whenever possible. I remember seeing cheap low solid plastic porch
pots in several stores recently. I'm going to hunt them down and soon! All
were under $1.50 but I didn't think I'd use them for anything at the time.
I think my lilies will love them. :-)

~ Windsong ~ 04-03-2004 07:09 AM

"jammer" wrote in message
You know what, i saw those very bowls/basins and wondered if i should
repot my lilly plant....

===========================
Today I dug out a bunch of old kitty litter pans an old roommate left behind
years ago. I had tossed them on a shelf in the outbuilding. They were
still in excellent shape so I used them to plant waterlines in. :-) The
price was right.

jammer 04-03-2004 08:04 AM

waterlilies and their pots, some potting notes :)

It was suggested to me that i drive around the night before bulk trash
pick up and i'd be amazed at what i could find. #1- I would be
embarrassed to go through others' trash, and #2- I am blind as a bat
at night.

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:50:13 -0600, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

.. .

~ Windsong ~ 05-03-2004 04:28 AM

"jammer" wrote in message

It was suggested to me that i drive around the night before bulk trash
pick up and i'd be amazed at what i could find. #1- I would be
embarrassed to go through others' trash, and #2- I am blind as a bat
at night.

======================]
Then you're next best bet would be to try the Dollar General and Big Lots
stores.

--
Carol...
My website:
http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html
"Where there's a will,.... there's a relative."
~~~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~~~~{@

jammer 06-03-2004 12:45 AM

waterlilies and their pots, some potting notes :)

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:06:38 -0600, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .

It was suggested to me that i drive around the night before bulk

trash
pick up and i'd be amazed at what i could find. #1- I would be
embarrassed to go through others' trash, and #2- I am blind as a

bat
at night.

Then you're next best bet would be to try the Dollar General and Big

Lots
stores.

I meant plant and pond stuff in general. I am a broke bloke at this
time but i am waiting for this "ship" you see....