Old 02-03-2004, 04:04 AM
adavisus

Default waterlilies and their pots, some potting notes :)

its not unusual for a lily to flower about four weeks after potting
up, in summer. Some lilies are more prolific than others, and much
will depend on the condition of the water lilies roots at the time of
planting

Lilies have two types of roots, feeder roots (no branching, often 4"
to 6" long... these do all the work)
and tether roots (much longer, many branches)

If your lily had intact feeder roots when it was planted, it may not
notice it has been moved... if the feeder roots were destroyed in
moving, the lilies chances of survival may be seriously set back,
possibly fatally

Feeder roots may take a month or so to establish... then they start a
cycle of leaves, then buds...

Some lilies have very low rates of buds to leaves, some very high
flower ratios

The ph of a pool can make a big difference too, if the ph is way over
8ph, that may well hamper the plant...

To pot up a good big crown, scoop a cavity for the feeder roots and
make sure they aren't exposed to fish grazing. A soil of a heavy loam
and clay mix is fine, soft and rich, easy for feeder roots to
penetrate (gravel, stone and sand is not going to help the feeder
roots)

Add no fertilisers or manure to the mix as that's likely to burn the
fragile feeder roots...

Press the rhisome to the soil surface only, maybe weigh it down with
some stones to hold it down, make sure light can get to the rhisome...
Place 2" stones across the soil surface so fish cant pester the soil
in the lily tub. Place the rhisome so it has the maximum space to
travel across the lily tub before it ambles into open water.... once a
good set of roots are established on a pot, a lily can cope quite well
growing off into open water later, very convenient to crop, when they
grow out of the pot...

A water lily grown and cropped like that is going to be in a vastly
better condition than anything going cheap in a box from a retailer.

waterlilies can grow quite well absolutely bare root... as long as
fish can't graze the brittle feeder roots they will do better than
potted lilies, if the water is steadily fertile. The best lilies I
ever saw were usually rhisomes that had ambled well out of the lily
tub and the roots could grow without any inhibition.
Gravel is a ghastly plant medium... when you try to divide anything
you won't be able to do a neat knife cut and what roots can get going
will be shredded when you need to divide the plant
Water lilies have two distinct types of root, the long many branched
roots are tether roots, ground gripping fellas only. Some varieties
tether roots can be 4' long
Look carefully and you will spot the feeder roots, they are not
branched, that's what makes the water lily chug, when theres a good
set of them established the plant starts to march with shoots and
buds. The feeder roots are usually 4" to 6" long, take care a water
lily never loses its feeder roots, as it is touch and go if the
rhisome will be able to form a new set. (Big failing of the cheapo
water lilies from Walmarts, this)
Water lily feeder roots really like a soft media to start in, they
are quite brittle, like bamboo shots, a potting mix of half clay and
half dark loam creating a soft 'goo' in a large plant pot is ideal.
.......A couple of things can really suppress lily growth....
turbulence near waterfalls or sprinklers, they hate moving water...
(except the nuphars, they like moving water)
If you have numbers of fish in your pond, it is possible they are
grazing on the lilies feeder roots, this can destroy a water lily.
Alas, many pond folk are sold silly weave baskets, which permit fish
to eat the tasty brittle feeder root tips Switching your lily to a
solid side container, with knife piercings every 4" (to prevent soil
going acid in unventilated container) might make a difference
.......Fish grazing the feeder roots can cripple, and kill lilies....
those silly weave aquatic baskets are certain death for most lilies,
the fish can get at the feeder root tips that amble out the basket,
before they can get going...
.......Another 'kiss of death' for waterlilies is lily root rot. Some
nurseries have been known to sell infected water lilies knowing full
well they will be selling another lily to you next year... that fungus
will destroy every lily that goes in a pond.
Think twice about buying water lilies from anyone who pretends not
know about lily root rot.... Only a few varieties of nymphaea are
capable of outgrowing that disease when it starts...

In a good position, well planted, most water lilies will be flowering
well in a month in summer, if they aren't, something is not quite
right....

A lily tub can be as simple as a black bucket, try not to be tempted
to use the silly weave baskets that are sold in retailers, they do
nothing to stop any grazing fish from wrecking the brittle feeder
root tips... any ordinary garden soil is fine with a good proportion
of clay in it, many lilies will only thrive when they get the trace
minerals that clay is loaded with.... pinning the rhisome down with
some large stones usually works, to hold it down while roots are
formed.

Make sure the growing point of the crown gets daylight and has plenty
of room to grow across the bucket... As big a tub as possible will
keep it going longer, once established the lily tubs main function is
to anchor the mass of foliage...while not so large you can't lift it
out for future pruning... a few 'stab' holes every 4" or so should be
adequate to ventilate the soil so it doesn't go off (turns acidic)
within the confines of the container

regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

What kind of pots are you people using for your
water lilies? What kind of soil? Is anyone using large regular plastic or
clay/crock pots?

Right now I'm using a nice heavy clay soil they thrive in. All suggestions
are appreciated. :-)

Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
~ Windsong ~

"adavisus" wrote in message
m...
its not unusual for a lily to flower about four weeks after potting
up, in summer. Some lilies are more prolific than others, and much
will depend on the condition of the water lilies roots at the time of
planting

==============
Very informative. Thanks.... :-) I'm going to pick up some solid
plastic low pots at Home Depot this week.
--
Carol...
My website:

Old 02-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Nedra

Carol, Do you have a Dollar Store nearby? I have about 10
$1 pots that look like a wash basin. Perfect for lilies.

Nedra

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

m...

Old 02-03-2004, 07:25 PM

mine do fine across from the waterfall. the water is undulating, I am sure there is
spray on the leaves. but it isnt chlorinated water like from a sprinkler.
I only have solid containers, no slits, no holes and my lilies do great. my limiting
factor is sunlight and space, so I only have two lilies. this year looks like I am
moving one of them to my mother's pond since my texas dawn is so huge. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:26 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
mine do fine across from the waterfall. the water is undulating, I am

sure there is
spray on the leaves. but it isnt chlorinated water like from a sprinkler.
I only have solid containers, no slits, no holes and my lilies do great.

my limiting
factor is sunlight and space, so I only have two lilies. this year looks

like I am
moving one of them to my mother's pond since my texas dawn is so huge.

Ingrid

Being a cheapo DIY'er I use whatever I can get my hands on cheap. My potting
contianers range from recycled pots that I have bought landscaping in, to a
stack of waste baskets I found last year for a few cents a piece at a local
gadgets, crap you don't need and beyond store. As for media, I use a mixture
of pea gravel and larger rocks for all of my plants.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com