Old 30-03-2004, 05:34 PM
John

Default Using big thick plastic bag (5'x3') as liner for Bog pond?

I am thinking about creating a bog pond, about 300 gallons, (maybe
just mosquito fish), lots of plants, Max about 9'' deep, wants to
attract wide animal or bird.
To save some money, I have a lot of very thick , big plastic bag
(5'x3'), can I use them as regular liner (them looks very tough)? (I
may have to stitch or glue those plastic bags to gather ).
Have anyone done that before?
please advice.
Thanks.
Old 31-03-2004, 03:22 AM
RichToyBox

The plastic bags are probably polyethylene, which has a very low UV
resistance and left out in the sun will become brittle and crack in a very
short time. There are very few adhesives that will stick to polyethylene.
We used it to prevent epoxy from sticking to our counter tops in the lab.
You would be much better served to go ahead and buy a liner.
--
RichToyBox

m...

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Barbara2245

"RichToyBox" wrote in message news:ynpac.40449$w54.260914@attbi_s01...
The plastic bags are probably polyethylene, which has a very low UV
resistance and left out in the sun will become brittle and crack in a very
short time. There are very few adhesives that will stick to polyethylene.
We used it to prevent epoxy from sticking to our counter tops in the lab.
You would be much better served to go ahead and buy a liner.
--
RichToyBox

"John" wrote in message
m...
I am thinking about creating a bog pond, about 300 gallons, (maybe
just mosquito fish), lots of plants, Max about 9'' deep, wants to
attract wide animal or bird.
To save some money, I have a lot of very thick , big plastic bag
(5'x3'), can I use them as regular liner (them looks very tough)? (I
may have to stitch or glue those plastic bags to gather ).
Have anyone done that before?
please advice.
Thanks.

If you live in an area that has farm stores where you could by a heavy
rubber tub used for feeding animals. I have on that is over 10 years
old. A kiddy pool would last longer than plastic bags if you empty it
each winter. Happy water gardening.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Barbara2245

"RichToyBox" wrote in message news:ynpac.40449$w54.260914@attbi_s01...
The plastic bags are probably polyethylene, which has a very low UV
resistance and left out in the sun will become brittle and crack in a very
short time. There are very few adhesives that will stick to polyethylene.
We used it to prevent epoxy from sticking to our counter tops in the lab.
You would be much better served to go ahead and buy a liner.
--
RichToyBox

"John" wrote in message
m...
I am thinking about creating a bog pond, about 300 gallons, (maybe
just mosquito fish), lots of plants, Max about 9'' deep, wants to
attract wide animal or bird.
To save some money, I have a lot of very thick , big plastic bag
(5'x3'), can I use them as regular liner (them looks very tough)? (I
may have to stitch or glue those plastic bags to gather ).
Have anyone done that before?
please advice.
Thanks.

If you live in an area that has farm stores where you could by a heavy
rubber tub used for feeding animals. I have on that is over 10 years
old. A kiddy pool would last longer than plastic bags if you empty it
each winter. Happy water gardening.

Pond Liner Material Identification - What Pond Liner to Choose FLP Ponds (alternative) 0 10-02-2010 09:35 AM
GÃœRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2007 08:11 AM
To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 11:10 AM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 03:08 PM