Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM
C. Smith

Default How can I create a manmade lake?

I have a backhoe and a stream and want to create a lake to swim in. I'm looking for info on what to do and what not to do in order to end up with a nice, clean, sustainable 1-10 acre lake. I need to know where to dig, how deep, if I need to line the basin,
stuff like that. Leads to a known good book(s) would be fine
Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Keith Nuttl

The first thing you need to do is check with the county extension agent
or the state department of natural resources. If you break some law on
damming up streams creation the pond will be the least of your worries.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:24 PM
adavisus

Check out pondboss.com

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Old 06-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Happy'Cam'per

with a nice, clean, sustainable 1-10 acre lake. I need to know where to
dig, how deep, if I need to line the basin, stuff like that. Leads to a
known good book(s) would be fine

LOL
Forget the pondliner, head for the nearest zoo and ask if you could use
their Elephant for a few weeks................wheeeeeeeee
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 06-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Sam Hopkins

You'll need to contact your department of natural resources to find
out the laws in your area. Two of concern are size of the pond and if
you are allowed to dam up water from a spring/stream. In PA if your
pond has breastworks over a certain height, X amount of water drains
into your pond, or if your pond is of a certain size you need to get a
dam permit. This entails submiting an application with engineering
specs.

Aside from that it's pretty easy. Dig a big hole. Try to position the
hole so that it gets no ground run off. Depending in your soil and how
much water flows into it it could take a year to fill up. It takes a
year for the soil to stabilize within the pond.

You'll need a dozer to do finishing grading. And you'll need someplace
to stick all the dirt.

Check out my pond building for ideas:
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/mbuild.html