Old 07-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Pond Newbie

Default Help Needed - What Is This?

http://lamb.iswiz.com/images/eggs_or_what.jpg
http://lamb.iswiz.com/images/eggs_or_what2.jpg

I found this on the side of my canna pot. There was also another piece floating in the
water, while I was cleaning. I went through the pond and took the filter out, cleaned it
out, including cleaning the goop out of the pump, moved all the plants, skimmed the
floating debris, and while I was doing this, noticed this stuff on the canna pot, which is
partially submerged in the pond, but this was on the pot where it would be above the water
line.

It is somewhat firm, but not real hard, floats (the other piece did) and appears to be
composed of a bunch of tiny 'cells'. It is approximately 1.5 - 2" long. Are these some
kind of egg? If so, of what?

Any help is appreciated.

TIA,
DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

Old 07-04-2004, 11:04 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Pond Newbie" wrote in message
http://lamb.iswiz.com/images/eggs_or_what.jpg
http://lamb.iswiz.com/images/eggs_or_what2.jpg

====================
They look like snail eggs.
--
Carol....
"My house was clean last week, too bad you missed it."

Old 07-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Pond Newbie

WOW! Those snails (mystery snails) went right to work!!!

I think I have only had them for about a week! LOL

Well, if isn't something harmful, I guess I will leave them there.

Thank you so much for the quick response!!!

DeAnna

Old 08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

[...]

DeAnna...that is a...a...uh...I don't know what you call it, but it contains
snail eggs. If you look closely it is actually a bit like a honeycomb with
the snail eggs each in their own little cavity. Once the eggs hatch you'll
have an empty case that just kind of floats around.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 08-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Pond Newbie

Thanks, BV!

I only wanted FOUR snails... lol.

I guess I shoulda had them sexed before releasing them into my garden of fertility. I have
been blessed with copious amounts of life this year. The trapdoor snails went crazy over
the winter, and it appears are STILL producing. Now it is the mystery snails....I wanted
snails big enough that Callie the water pig wouldn't eat them. (This koi eats an AMAZING
amount of food!). I never see any trapdoor snails in the lower pond, so I am *assuming*
that s/he is eating any that happen to wander in. Hence the BIG snails... lol.

If the toads and frogs are as prolific, we may have a crowded pond by next year!

DeAnna

Old 08-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Pond Newbie" wrote in message
Thanks, BV!

I only wanted FOUR snails... lol.

snip

SOMLOL.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 09-04-2004, 09:33 AM
how

Pond Newbie said
\snips
Are these some kind of egg? If so, of what?

Hi,
Apple snails, you can check out these plant eaters here.
http://www.applesnail.net/content/ecology.php
HTH -_- how

Old 12-04-2004, 04:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Mystery snails lay the same type of egg case as Apple snails, but they are
two different snail types. ~ jan

Pond Newbie said
Are these some kind of egg? If so, of what?

Apple snails, you can check out these plant eaters here.
http://www.applesnail.net/content/ecology.php
HTH -_- how

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)