Old 16-05-2004, 10:13 PM
The~Doofie~Man©

Default Bog/Veggie filters DIY quesiotns.

I'm damn sure I'm going to need more filtration for my pond. I have set
aside an area for this. It just so happens I had made the area while
designing the pond, so lucky me. The area is about 4-5"s deep. I can
elongate it with sand & pea rock if I have to too add the filter.
Do I have to have all the plants in containers, one big container all
together or plant them right in the pea/soil bed?
Can I just run a water line after the submersible filer/pump I already have
to the bog and control the water flow with a valve? The plumbing aspect of
ponding isn't really a problem for me seeing as that's what I do for a
living. its the balancing for the pond that's got me scathing my head. I
went to a wicked awesome nursery today & bought some plants for the bog
(grasses) and some more oxygenating plants for the bottom as well. So is
this a bog or a veggie filter? They the same thing more or less. Can someone
explain it to me like a 3 year old.
I could build a filer box as well but which method works best? If I do go
this route I'll use a flower pot as I want keep the pond as natural as
possible. I don't want to see plastic boxes everywhere. I don't want to use
chemicals if I DON'T HAVE TO either. I've been reading that DIY is a good
way to go. I take it the filter box should filter as slowly as possible
through the system without compensating water flow back to the pond.
Again thanks in advance for the input people.

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"

Old 16-05-2004, 10:13 PM
The~Doofie~Man©

What a hideous way to spell "questions" in the subject line.
Shame on me!!!!

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"
Putting the fun back in FUNeral!!
http://www.geocities.com/doof70/index.html

.. .

Old 17-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Veggie filter is any place water runs through plants on its way to the pond.
Solisd and mechanically filtered or settled out. Nutirents are grabbed by
plants. More growth, more nutrients out.

Think in terms of filtration AND cleaning! Once it is full of muck, how do
we get the muck out? Natural ponds become bogs which become fertile fields.
If you want a field, don't clean your bog. Gravel and junk in the bog will
hold muck. If you line your bog with a liner, you can grow plants and then
flush out the junk. Gravel is very hard to clean effectively. Our veggie
filters are kiddie pools with 2" drains in the bottom (PVC piping).
Cleaning is opening a valve and letting the water run out. We then flush
with pond water. Sooooo easy. When we had a lava rock filter, it was a
nightmare of flushing and hauling rock out.

However your plants are put in, be sure to have a lot of root surface to
filter and to grab nutrients.

Have fun.

Jim
Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net