GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Good news/bad news (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/61714-good-news-bad-news.html)

Mike Patterson 19-05-2004 03:06 PM

Good news/bad news

Wow, haven't seen the liner since February... (new pond).

Just in the last couple of days the water has cleared up so much that
I can see the bottom (pond is 22 to 32 inches deep).

But it seems that a predator (I'm guessing a Heron) has also found the
clear water helpful.

It's hard to tell for certain, but I think I lost 5-6 goldfish last
night/this morning. The one or two that are left are panicked when I
get near the pond.

At least a couple of the shiners are still there, but they're even
harder to see than the goldfish.

@#$^%$#^$

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Steve and Lisa 19-05-2004 03:06 PM

Good news/bad news

Aw Mike sorry to hear that. We had a Heron attack on Sunday......and the
survivors are just now starting to come up....but won't eat till I leave
their site. :(

Lisa

Jim Humphries 19-05-2004 08:09 PM

Good news/bad news

The only real solution is to net the pond. It does not look bad and it
works every time. Otherwise you will become another "stop" on the heron's
foraging route.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC