Old 21-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Destroyallx

Default iris

ok, i have ALOT of iris. they grow naturally everywhere by me. i have a
problem with my pond. i dont know if any of you saw the pictures (
http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/ ) but would adding iris in pots in the pond
make a difference or have an effect on the clarity of the water, help get
rid of the green?

Old 21-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Destroyallx" wrote in message
ok, i have ALOT of iris. they grow naturally everywhere by me. i have a
problem with my pond. i dont know if any of you saw the pictures (
http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/ ) but would adding iris in pots in the

pond
make a difference or have an effect on the clarity of the water, help get
rid of the green?

I use iris planted in a mixture of pea gravel and river rock. Each plant is
in a small laundry basket still bucket with large holes, the water flows
through nicely. I use iris as an addition to my WH. The different foliage
looks nice, and the iris are decent filter plants as well.

IMHO, the best way to deal with algae is a combination of 1 part plants + 2
parts patience + 1 part beer (in any sized container you prefer). My pond,
for example, is quite green right now, and will remain so until my VF takes
off in a few weeks. No biggie. The fish are happy, spawning, etc. I just
can't see them too well. Pretty soon, it'll be clear and we'll all be happy.

It's hard to tell from your pics, but it appears you have more then just
alage in your pond. The water looks a bit turbid. Do you have a clay or
cloudiness problem?

BV.

Old 21-05-2004, 04:21 PM

no, in a pot iris wont really clean it up. you need roots dangling in the water and
if there are fish they will go after the roots. the roots are where the little
critters are that fish eat. for best water and clarity build a veggie filter. a UV
will help tho. Ingrid

"Destroyallx" wrote:

ok, i have ALOT of iris. they grow naturally everywhere by me. i have a
problem with my pond. i dont know if any of you saw the pictures (
http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/ ) but would adding iris in pots in the pond
make a difference or have an effect on the clarity of the water, help get
rid of the green?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 21-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
no, in a pot iris wont really clean it up. you need roots dangling in the

water and
if there are fish they will go after the roots. the roots are where the

little
critters are that fish eat. for best water and clarity build a veggie

filter. a UV
will help tho. Ingrid

snip

IMHO, it depends on the pot. I have been using pots (really cheapo laundry
baskets with large holes) with holes in them. Right now, my iris are the
only plants up to speed in the VF, and my numbers are all perfect. The small
amount of WH are contributing to filtration, but the Iris are doing the bulk
of the work right now.

BV.

Old 23-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Our Iris are on top of a barrel filter, in a laundry basket with a lot of
holes. The roots reach down into the barrel. lots of growth...massive,
tall Iris! Probably eating up nutrients. Went from three plants to a 15x23
mass of plants in a season. WH probably does better...lots to throw out.
Mine are just coming to that stage now.

Good luck!

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 23-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Charles

On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:31:11 -0500, "Jim and Phyllis Hurley"
wrote:

Our Iris are on top of a barrel filter, in a laundry basket with a lot of
holes. The roots reach down into the barrel. lots of growth...massive,
tall Iris! Probably eating up nutrients. Went from three plants to a 15x23
mass of plants in a season. WH probably does better...lots to throw out.
Mine are just coming to that stage now.

Good luck!

Jim

I had a filter with lava rock topped with a floor scrubber pad. (looks
like a big Scotchbrite.)

Iris grew really well in that, worked well until it was time to take
it apart, what a mess.
--

- Charles
-