Old 09-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Newbie Bill

Default aeration

I have a small 200 gph pump (very low power usage) submerged in my pond for
additional aeration - just as added 'insurance'. The output is below the
water so the water is just 'bubbling' like a natural spring might. I do not
want it splashing for several reasons. I have been told it is the breaking
of the surface which helps to oxidize the water.
Questions: 1) Is this actually doing me some good. 2)Aesthetics aside would
an airstone attached be significantly better.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 09-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Bill,

If you are worried about "aesthetics" and airstone
pumping air into your water from the bottom of your
pond would probably be a better idea, especially as the
summer is coming on and higher pond temps, especially
in Austin, Texas. The airstone in the depths of your
pond would allow a lot more "air" to come in contact
with the water than just moving it up and and across
the surface using the pump.

Tom L.L.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:56 PM
George

Newbie Bill wrote:
I have a small 200 gph pump (very low power usage) submerged in my pond for
additional aeration - just as added 'insurance'. The output is below the
water so the water is just 'bubbling' like a natural spring might. I do not
want it splashing for several reasons. I have been told it is the breaking
of the surface which helps to oxidize the water.
Questions: 1) Is this actually doing me some good. 2)Aesthetics aside would
an airstone attached be significantly better.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Actually, the air water interface is at least as important, if not more
important. The larger the surface area of the air/water interface, the greater
the exchange of gases. While an airstone can pump air through the water, it
does so in a limited way, since it is only making contact with a small area of
water at a time and only influences the immediate area around the airstone. By
inducing a current across the surface of the water with a pump located at the
bottom of the pond, you will induce more gas exchange because of the greater
surface area involved. It also helps in preventing zonation from froming in the
water column, since you are pumping the water from the bottom and streaming it
across the surface, which in turn, allows oxygenated water to move towards the
bottom of the pond. The ripples going across the surface of the pond also looks
nice.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Grubber

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
I have a small 200 gph pump (very low power usage) submerged in my pond

for
additional aeration - just as added 'insurance'. The output is below the
water so the water is just 'bubbling' like a natural spring might. I do

not
want it splashing for several reasons. I have been told it is the

breaking
of the surface which helps to oxidize the water.
Questions: 1) Is this actually doing me some good. 2)Aesthetics aside

would
an airstone attached be significantly better.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Try making a venturi out of pvc. This will give you the circulation benefit
of the pump with more aeration than an airstone. You can also make it for a
couple of bucks, so it's cheap to try.

Basically, your pump output goes into a piece of horizontal 1/2" pvc a
couple of feet long. Cut the pvc in half and add a T with the opening
pointing straight up. Get another piece of pvc long enough to fit in the T
and stick a couple inches out of the water. Cut one end at a 45 degree
angle and shave the pvc so it will fit past the stop in the T. It needs to
get down into the T and get into the flow coming from the pump, with the
open angle away from the pump. The water flow sucks air in from the upright
pvc and bubbles out of the lower pipe.

Here's a possibly better explanation, with a different method. With a small
pump, I'd stick with 1/2" pvc and shaving the pvc may be easier than finding
tubing that will fit inside the 1/2" pvc.

http://spaghoops.com/pond/venturi.htm

I'm also in Austin btw. My fish love playing in the bubbles, although I've
got a 1600 gph pump on the venturi which gives them a pretty good current to
play in.

Best airstones/diffusers for aeration? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 11-06-2005 06:21 PM
Aeration vs Dethatch help John Lawns 3 14-05-2003 06:08 PM
Aeration Gene Moon Lawns 5 27-04-2003 03:45 AM
Is more aeration required? Tasslehoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
[IBC] Soil, Pots, and Aeration? Brent Walston Bonsai 0 01-03-2003 07:28 PM