Old 11-06-2004, 01:07 AM
DavesVideo

Default Pump height question

Say a pump is advertised as able to deliver 1000 gal/hour at say a height of
6". I would guess that it means 6" above the surface of the water rather than
the bottom where the pump sits. Is this true? Doesn't seem to make sense any
other way.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 11-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Jim Humphries

Yes its from the water surface.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

Old 11-06-2004, 03:05 PM
RainLover

On 10 Jun 2004 23:52:22 GMT, (DavesVideo) wrote:

Say a pump is advertised as able to deliver 1000 gal/hour at say a height of
6". I would guess that it means 6" above the surface of the water rather than
the bottom where the pump sits. Is this true? Doesn't seem to make sense any
other way.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Hi Dave,

Chaces are they are calculating for "head pressure". That means at 6" you can
get 1000 gal/hr... if you lifted it to 3 feet, for, say, a waterfall, you'd
probably drop to 600 gal/hr (guessing on the number).

If the pump is sitting at the bottom of your pond there is NO 'head pressure'
until the pumped water rises above the surface of your pond.

James, Seattle

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Old 11-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Barbara2245

(DavesVideo) wrote in message ...
Say a pump is advertised as able to deliver 1000 gal/hour at say a height of
6". I would guess that it means 6" above the surface of the water rather than
the bottom where the pump sits. Is this true? Doesn't seem to make sense any
other way.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

It is not a good idea to set the pump "right" on the bottom because in
case the hose comes loose on the filter the pond will empty
completely killing the fish. Also, setting it on the bottom will be
clogging it with debrie and mulm. The pump size should be at least
twice the final calculation. Good luck.
Old 14-06-2004, 03:09 PM
HTH

Dave,

The sequence pump people have a good page that should help you out.
It explains static and dynamic head and includes a link to a page to
help determine dynamic head.

http://www.mdminc.com/Choosing_The_Right_Pump.htm

HTH