Old 13-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Daniel Phillips

Default Caring for Water Lilies

Some simple questions about water lilies, please, in regards to my
container water garden that still has living fish in it after three
months:

1) I hadn't topped the water in the container for awhile, since
thunderstorms are expected all throughout this week. At what point in
a water lily flowering can I top the water off if I need to? Already,
one has surfaced and is currently closed.

2) What is the right way to cut the lily pads when they start
yellowing and begin to sink to the bottom? I think to reach down and
snip them by the base stem, but I'm not sure.

3) One pad is above the water surface a good ways. I can't maneuver
it to be on the water again. Is this a big deal?

P.S. My email is full, so any mail sent there will bounce back.
Sorry.

Daniel Phillips

[+]bandito[-]spam = [-]toppler.[+]zworg.com
Be warned, may mistakingly bounce back as spam.
Old 13-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Go Fig

In article , Daniel
Phillips wrote:

Some simple questions about water lilies, please, in regards to my
container water garden that still has living fish in it after three
months:

1) I hadn't topped the water in the container for awhile, since
thunderstorms are expected all throughout this week. At what point in
a water lily flowering can I top the water off if I need to? Already,
one has surfaced and is currently closed.

At any point, the speed at which they adjust is incredible. How many
inches are you talking about ?

What type of lily do you have ?

2) What is the right way to cut the lily pads when they start
yellowing and begin to sink to the bottom? I think to reach down and
snip them by the base stem, but I'm not sure.

Just snip it as close to the crown as possible, some species you can
just pinch it w/ your thumb and finger, others need a scissors.

3) One pad is above the water surface a good ways. I can't maneuver
it to be on the water again. Is this a big deal?

Some species are far better suited for containers, generally
'tropicals' are too big for containers.

jay
Sun Jun 13, 2004

Old 13-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Daniel Phillips

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:23:03 -0700, Go Fig wrote:

In article , Daniel
Phillips wrote:

Some simple questions about water lilies, please, in regards to my
container water garden that still has living fish in it after three
months:

1) I hadn't topped the water in the container for awhile, since
thunderstorms are expected all throughout this week. At what point in
a water lily flowering can I top the water off if I need to? Already,
one has surfaced and is currently closed.

At any point, the speed at which they adjust is incredible. How many
inches are you talking about ?

Yes, I saw it for myself when the water level rose above its normal
height. Water lilies are amazing. I take it, then, ideally even when
the flower has bloomed, it adjusts to the water level?

The usual water level is 14 inches (measured outside of the
barrel/liner combo), give or take an inch or so. Right now, it's two
inches down. One of the pads is indeed two inches above the water,
and the particular bulb (for lack of the proper word) I'm talking
about is more than halfway above the water at its current water level.

What type of lily do you have ?

A miniature variety. Not sure which.

2) What is the right way to cut the lily pads when they start
yellowing and begin to sink to the bottom? I think to reach down and
snip them by the base stem, but I'm not sure.

Just snip it as close to the crown as possible, some species you can
just pinch it w/ your thumb and finger, others need a scissors.

I looked "crown" up. That'll be on the surface of the soil/gravel,
right? I'd reach down and snip off the particular stem as low as I can
go?

Thanks for your help.

Old 13-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Go Fig

Phillips wrote:

Some simple questions about water lilies, please, in regards to my
container water garden that still has living fish in it after three
months:

1) I hadn't topped the water in the container for awhile, since
thunderstorms are expected all throughout this week. At what point in
a water lily flowering can I top the water off if I need to? Already,
one has surfaced and is currently closed.

At any point, the speed at which they adjust is incredible. How many
inches are you talking about ?

Yes, I saw it for myself when the water level rose above its normal
height. Water lilies are amazing. I take it, then, ideally even when
the flower has bloomed, it adjusts to the water level?

Depends, but with good conditions you should have lots of blooms. Most
blooms are only around for about 3-4 days, they don't adjust as quick
as the pads. Fertilize (1)/month.

The usual water level is 14 inches (measured outside of the
barrel/liner combo), give or take an inch or so.

How much water is above the top of the crown ? But again, don't worry
too much about it... sounds OK.

Right now, it's two
inches down. One of the pads is indeed two inches above the water,
and the particular bulb (for lack of the proper word) I'm talking
about is more than halfway above the water at its current water level.

What type of lily do you have ?

A miniature variety. Not sure which.

'Mexicana' is a great container lily, has a nice yellow flower.

2) What is the right way to cut the lily pads when they start
yellowing and begin to sink to the bottom? I think to reach down and
snip them by the base stem, but I'm not sure.

Just snip it as close to the crown as possible, some species you can
just pinch it w/ your thumb and finger, others need a scissors.

I looked "crown" up. That'll be on the surface of the soil/gravel,
right? I'd reach down and snip off the particular stem as low as I can
go?

Yup, its good housekeeping, as what you don't get will rot away. Also
depending on the species its important that you don't let the flowers
go to seed, as that may cut down on future blooms.

jay
Sun Jun 13, 2004

Old 14-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Gareee©

Yup, its good housekeeping, as what you don't get will rot away. Also
depending on the species its important that you don't let the flowers
go to seed, as that may cut down on future blooms.

But wouldn't that also propagate more of them then?

We just got two of the walmart lillies a few weeks ago, and am now learning
that as well....they do appear to both be growing very quickly...lots of
sun, and of course, water..

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 15-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Daniel Phillips

How much water is above the top of the crown ? But again, don't worry
too much about it... sounds OK.

Seven inches from the crown.