Old 14-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Robin Sowton

Default pond wall - hypertufa?

I'm looking at expanding my existing pond from 700 gallon pond to a
3000 gallon one. I'd like build a pond wall that is at least 1 ft high
to prevent my small dogs from jumping in and to avoid problems with
water run-off.

Among some of the inexpensive solutions I've been looking at... is
building hypertufa blocks (combination of portland cement, sand and
peat) to use for the walls. Then within the walls, I plan to put a
large 45 mil EDPM liner (a liner similar to what I'm using on my
current pond).

Has anyone built hypertufa forms? If so, what did you use as a mold to
build your forms? Can a simple plastic box be used as a mold? Or it it
difficult to get the form out once it hardens?

Thanks!

Robin
Old 14-06-2004, 08:11 PM

I have built planters....but...I would question the use of hypertuffa as a
permanent structure. What will the outside dimensions of your pond be ?? I
do landscaping and may be able to give you some suggestions...leads to
pursue. MIKE
om...

Old 14-06-2004, 08:11 PM

The reason I asked about the outside dimensions was that you might consider
the new stacking landscaping stones that are available. The expense of
peatmoss,Portland cement and sand may be similar, the stones would
definitely more permanent and stable and allot less work to install.. You
could also consider landscape timbers......just suggestions...Mike

Old 15-06-2004, 05:08 AM
Robin Sowton

Thanks Mike. I'm looking at building something that, if it were square,
would be 12ft x 12ft. I say 'if' because I'm leaning toward making shape a
little rounder, more natural looking.

I used lumber to build the pond originally. There's an older photo at:
(http://www.littledoggies/images/pondblums2.jpg) ...but I wanted something
that look a little more natural this time (and the walls won't be as high,
but the pond will go deeper into the ground). The photo makes the pond look
really tidy (as it was about 2 years ago), but a newer photo would show a
pond that has so many plants in it that you can barely see the fish.

I've also thought of taking cinder block and running it around the perimeter
and then using dirt between the block and pond liner for insulation, and
then hiding the exterior block with flagstone. My concern with using block
or brick is that because the yard has a downward slope toward the fence, the
section of wall in that area will be about 3 ft high, whereas the wall along
the higher ground will be only about 12"-16" high, and I'm not sure how to
give the 3ft part of that wall enough stability against the pressure of the
water on the inside of the pond.

Any insights would be appreciated. ;-)

Thanks,

Robin

Old 16-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Karen Mullen

Robin,

This is how my yard is, a downward slope toward a chainlink fence. What I did
was use the dirt excavated from the pond to build up the fence end and ordered
liner long enough to go down over the slope I created with that dirt. I then
put large rocks at the base of the slope and dirt and small rocks over the
liner and put in creeping plants with shallow roots. It's been 3 years and no
erosion.

Karen

In article , "Robin Sowton"
writes:

My concern with using block
or brick is that because the yard has a downward slope toward the fence, the
section of wall in that area will be about 3 ft high, whereas the wall along
the higher ground will be only about 12"-16" high, and I'm not sure how to
give the 3ft part of that wall enough stability against the pressure of the
water on the inside of the pond.

Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 16-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Mary kate

I don't know anything about the forms you want to build..sorry... but
have you ever thought about making your old pond an island in your new
pond....it would save you allot of tearing apart your old one...just a
thought....that's what I'm designing to do with mine...a pond around a
pond...less digging too..not to mention goldfish on the island pond and
whatever in the bigger pond.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Pinkpggy

The reason I asked about the outside dimensions was that you might consider
the new stacking landscaping stones that are available.

Our waterfall is built with a retaining wall from the stacking landscaping
stones. The dirt was then piled around them to build the actual waterfall.
Hope this makes sense.

Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html