Old 15-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Kris Kauker

Default Hiding Fish and H2O is good

I hope I can find some help here, I've read and posted a few messages
here and there, so here it goes.....

I have a 125 gallon (yeah, that's all) pond. It's been up a running
for three years now. I added two comets a few weeks ago and a
Butterfly Koi over a week ago. For the past week, all the fish have
seem to be hidding in the corners of the pond or hiding together at
the bottom of the pond. This weekend, I lost the Butterfly fish.
This AM, I found one of the baby fish, about a year old flipped
himself out of the pond and out onto the ground. Luckily, it must
have just happened and I was able to place him back in the pond and I
quickly got him into a bowl.

I checked the all the levels with the following:
Ammonia - 0.0
pH - 6.9
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 80!

Yup, 80! I did some quick internet searching and came up with a water
change. I changed 50% of the water and filled it back up and
de-chlorinated the water. I also added some aquarium salt. The fish
are doing a little better, but some are still hidding. I again
checked the levels and all were the same except for the Nitrate that
was down to 20.

Any ideas on the problem?
SHould I be more concerned about the water quality?

This is the first major problem that I've had with the pond and I'm
lucky to say that's all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris Kauker
kkauker at princeton dot edu
Old 15-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Ka30P

Hi Kris!

Usually when water problems start they actually started with overstocking.
Our rule of thumb is 20 - 40 gallons per goldfish and 1000 gallons for koi with
100 gallons for every additional koi.

It is tricky, at best, to keep water parameters going with overstocking and
once it goes out of whack, as we've recently learned, the numbers can be
adjusted but often the fish problems are only beginning.

So look at your fish numbers and see if you can do any adjusting that way.
Others will chime in.
(I have taken the coward's route. I have about 20 goldfish in 3,000.... ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 15-06-2004, 07:02 AM
George

"Kris Kauker" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Honestly, I think your pond is much too small to raise koi. Stick with the
goldfish, and don't over-populate it. Also, it looks like the pH was low, while
the Nitrate was a little high. Consider including some limestone into your
water feature. It will help prevent a pH crash.

Old 15-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Mary kate

Attached Files
File Type: (956 Bytes, 48 views)
Old 15-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Newbie Bill

Hi Kris
I am way far from an expert, but its late and I cant sleep so here's my 5
cents worth of advice. It has been very painful but ponding is once again
teaching me.... common sense. There are a number of factors you did not
mention, like how many fish already, plants etc etc. There are a bunch of
things you could consider and many rules of thumb. But if all new fish act
funny, one dies and another is willing to jump into the unknown to escape
its current surroundings you have water problems -and the older fish are not
as excited about it YET. Change what you do know - even 20 Nitrates is
about the max I believe - got any filtering root systems? Adding Limestone
to your water feature sounds good to me but in the short run I would add
Baking soda and slowly bring you ph up, like today. 7.5 would be a very
safe first goal ecspecially if you are not sure if 6.9 is your lowest in the
morning, not bouncing too drastically ph. I would want to know what your
fresh water going in is. If its over 6.9 subsequent water changes will at
least temporarily improve ph and nitrates. You still have 2 new fish, which
is probably at least 2 too many. My wild guess is that the 80 reading is
telling you your fish load was already getting excessive - the darn things
grow.
Okay-well 5 cents doesnt buy what it used to.
The calvary should be arriving in just a few hours.
Good Luck!
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas
[...]

This mosquito is good at hiding john hamilton[_2_] Gardening 70 29-07-2010 12:42 PM
This mosquito is good at hiding john hamilton[_2_] United Kingdom 69 29-07-2010 12:42 PM
fertilization and reverse osmosis h2o Steve Weaver Orchids 4 27-11-2006 01:59 PM
Fish in Hiding Quercus Robur Ponds 18 18-05-2005 01:25 PM
Hiding Fish and H2O is good..more details! Julia Kauker Ponds 1 19-06-2004 07:07 AM