Old 19-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Heather

Default Veggie Filter Maintenance

Should the water hyacinth be removed from the filter from time to time and
the silt rinsed off the roots, then replaced? Or do I need to do additional
filtering before the VF to get the silt caught first?

Thanks,

--
Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)

Old 19-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Haether,

Here are some thoughts about cleaning your vf. Therat them with a grain of
salt as they apply to my pond and may not be relevant to yours.

The roots of the wh are great as mechanical filters and biosurface (bacteria
that you want). If they are filled with silt, they are working. Count on
them to be grabbing nutrients as well as filtering.

If your water is clear and the sediment seems to stay in the VF, leave it
alone til winter or next spring before the growth starts. Then suck out the
gunk.

Our vfs are cleaned once per year in the spring. The first filter pond has
over an inch of muck by then (5' kiddie pool). The next ponds have very
little muck. Conclusion, the first one does the trick. We have a bottom
drain in each vf, so draining in the spring is just opening the stopcock and
flushing by pouring some pondwater over the plants till the bottom is clean.

Are your wh growing well? Have they good roots? Is the water clear? If
so, leave it. It's doing fine.

Our wh grow at a huge rate in the Mississippi summer. We pull bushels of
them out. We also cut bushels of parrots feather and water celery. The
Irises are pretty, but don't grow as much (i.e. grab as much nutrient).

Good luck. Ours are up for view in the pondsite below.

home.bellsouth.net\p\pwp-jameshurley

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 21-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Heather" wrote in message
Should the water hyacinth be removed from the filter from time to time and
the silt rinsed off the roots, then replaced? Or do I need to do

additional
filtering before the VF to get the silt caught first?

In my first year of ponding, I had very orange water due to clay run off and
uh...digging errors. Anyway, for a time, we would take the large WH out of
the VF, and gentyly wring the roots out. This removed TONS of the clay. I
would not recommend this for smaller WH as you can easily remove their
roots, but the larger ones faired pretty well in this matter. I'd also
recommend not doing this until at least mid-summer to ensure there are no
little critter babies in the roots that may get squeezed on to the ground.

BV.

Old 25-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Hi Jim

I really LOVE your pond. It is most appealing
May I suggest a large Japanese lantern, I think it would look great for your
setup
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
Good luck. Ours are up for view in the pondsite below.

home.bellsouth.net\p\pwp-jameshurley

Jim

Required - Easy maintenance filter! psbderbys Ponds 4 23-08-2005 12:42 AM
Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM