Old 21-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Tony Rivas

Default pH help needed

Greetings all,
I have a 2200 gal backyard pond with about 20 2-3 inch comets and koi and
about 1/5 plant cover. This week my pH is at 6.5
How can i get it up to a good range. Can anyone recommend a good amount of
baking soda or lawn lime dust to put in the pond to fix it. Could the pH
have gone down due to a berry tree dropping berries in it all month?

Thanks to all,
joe

Old 21-06-2004, 03:03 AM
RichToyBox

If your pH normally runs higher, then you have run out of buffering and are
on the verge of a pH crash. You need to add some baking soda to bring the
pH up, but do it slowly. Add a half a cup, wait about an hour and check the
pH. If it has not gone up to above 7, then add another half cup and check
again. Get a KH test kit and stop adding baking soda when the KH gets to be
about 100 ppm or about 6 or 7 drops. At KH of 100 the pH should be about
8.2 to 8.4. It will be about the same pH at KH of 40. So once you have
gotten the pH up above 8, then you can start adding larger quantities.
There is a calculator at http://www.click2roark.com/. The site does require
you to be a registered user, no cost though.
--
RichToyBox
. net...

Old 21-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Jim Humphries

Baking soda is your answer. It is a buffer which would result in a pH of
about 8 when added in sufficient amount to overcome the acid. And, it's
cheap. I have a 2000 gallon pond to which I add a pound of baking soda from
time to time as needed. Calcium carbonate can be kept in a mesh bag to
slowly dissolve and add hardness and some buffer capacity too but not as a
remedy fix it.

--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC