Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
WilsonKKW

Default Green pond---Help!!

I have a new,installed May'04 pond-500 gallons.5 koi, 4 comets, 3 snails, 12
tadpoles it was clear but hs now turned cloudy and green. old to add bactria I
am using a product called ''Aqua clearer'' but it's not working.
What should I do?
thanks
Kathy
Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Grubber

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message

I have a new,installed May'04 pond-500 gallons.5 koi, 4 comets, 3 snails,

12
tadpoles it was clear but hs now turned cloudy and green. old to add

bactria I
am using a product called ''Aqua clearer'' but it's not working.
What should I do?
thanks
Kathy

Add plants and wait. How big are the fish?

Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 PM
WilsonKKW

Add plants and wait. How big are the fish?

I have plants,4 Irises, 6 small Lily pads,3 Parrot feathers
what else to do?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Go Fig

In article , WilsonKKW
wrote:

Add plants and wait. How big are the fish?

I have plants,4 Irises, 6 small Lily pads,3 Parrot feathers
what else to do?

An 8 watt UV light, and it will be clear by next weekend.

jay
Sun Jul 04, 2004

Old 04-07-2004, 11:06 PM
chagoi

WilsonKKW wrote:

Add plants and wait. How big are the fish?

I have plants,4 Irises, 6 small Lily pads,3 Parrot feathers
what else to do?

You call them plants ;-)

My 90 Gallon puddle (happy, stable home to 20- 3"-4" goldfish and rosie
reds, 4 frogs and 9 tadpoles) has: 10 iris, 15 water lettuce (1"-4"), 12
Water Hyacinth (2"-6"), 50 strands of anacharis (8"-10" long), 1 large
strand of hornswort (2' -3'long). 2 small water lillies, 6 sq. ft.
waterwall 80% covered with moss. 1- 20 gallon Bio/veggie filter w/8
4"-5" Water Hyacinths. 210 GPH

My 500 gallon pond has a vortex veggie filter with 12 Water Hyacinths,
2-20 gallon bio/veggie filters topped with 15 Water Hyacinths (3"-6"), 8
Water Lettuce (2"-5"). The pond has 1 Pickeral rush, 1 Black Taro, 30
strands of Anacharis (3'-4' long), 3 hornswort (2'-3'long), 2 water
lillies, and soon 8 cannas. 1400 GPH

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

-- To avoid Grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises
hikers to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray.
Also watch for signs of activity: Black bear scat is smaller and
contains berries; Grizzly scat has little bells in it and smells like
pepper.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

Patience. Patience. All ponds go through the green water stage and all
will eventually clear. Some clear in a couple of weeks, some it takes
longer. You will go to the pond one day, and like majic it will be clear.
Don't add chemicals. Don't change large amounts of water, algae loves new
water. Adding a few more plants will speed the process and assure better
water quality, but the main ingredient is patience.
--
RichToyBox

Old 06-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Ka30P

ALGAE PRIMER
~ Nutrients for all forms of algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
The following is a collection of algae suggestions from many rec.ponders:
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ or build a veggie filter* see below (one of the best and prettiest way to
clear a pond)
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with
1,000 gallons) and *not* overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much
feeding is probably responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by
too much decaying plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves in the fall. Clean
out pond once a year.
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae and that
will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not use products to dye to the water...
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
or read http://www.sfbakc.org/koienews/clayvsclay.html
or some rec.ponders like String Algae Buster
~ water movement and occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
some rec.ponders use http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html
~ Check your pH, too high, over 8.8, or too low, under 6.4, and most higher
plant forms can't take up the nutrients.
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk, dead
algae and convert fishy ammonia waste for fish health.
~ some rec.ponders like barley straw
http://www.aquabotanic.com/barleyarticle.html
~ patience, more patience, remember to be patient and time ;-)
~ personally, in my experience, I can vouch for few fish, a plant filter and
patience

*Plant filter ~ running the pond's water through plants
- as easy as floating water hyacinth in top of a stock tank and planting
watercress in your waterfall (my method ;-)
or
Ingrid's post on plant filters:
"The essence of a plant filter is a water proof container with the water from
the pond
being pumped in one end flowing thru the roots of various plants and flowing
back
into the pond at the other end.
It needs to be long enough that solids settle to the bottom OR have filter
material
that will slow or hold the solids (and get rinsed out periodically).
It needs plants of different kinds to maximize removal of all wastes.
it needs sufficient amount of plants to remove in one day all the wastes
produced by
the fish load in one day. It needs plants with extensive roots and/or plants
that get big so they used up more
nutrients. It needs to be only 8-12" deep so it doesn't go anaerobic."
or go he
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Design/D...rs/default.asp

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 06-07-2004, 05:07 AM
chagoi

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
You keep count of your anacharis, Mike? ) ~ jan

My 90 Gallon puddle (happy, stable home to 20- 3"-4" goldfish and rosie
reds, 4 frogs and 9 tadpoles) has: 10 iris, 15 water lettuce (1"-4"), 12
Water Hyacinth (2"-6"), 50 strands of anacharis (8"-10" long), 1 large
strand of hornswort (2' -3'long). 2 small water lillies, 6 sq. ft.
waterwall 80% covered with moss. 1- 20 gallon Bio/veggie filter w/8
4"-5" Water Hyacinths. 210 GPH

I am not in the habit of counting them. I recently bought a large
assortment on eBay, and just threw them in the ponds. I just gathered
MOST of the FREE-FLOATING Strands and "Potted" then in old WalMart
lillie pots and sunk them to the bottom.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM
KCnRichmond

Its a garden, not an aquarium.... Stop using chemicals...My customers are
firm believers in more plants...Doesn't have to be "aquatic" plants....Go to
the nearest box store and buy any plants you want, soak them down and gently
place them on your plant shelf so that the top of the landscape pot it came
in is about 1" below the surface...Floating algae is the last on the food
chain and the bigger plants will love the nutrients....Yes, they will grow,
especially shade type plants. Plant just about anything from your yard in
peagravel in pots...Just pull it out of the ground and plant it in the pot
just like normal....Throw a handful of tall fescue seed in...You'll have a
pretty cool grass bed in the bottom that will grow to the top of the
water....A green pond is a healthy pond and Ma nature is just letting you
know who is in control...I think it was the Doc who years ago said
benevolent negligence is the key to having a nice pond? So true....Have
faith amigo, each year the algae bloom will be quicker as your plants become
established...It will still have a bloom, but your fish love
it.....Yeah...Ma Nature can be funny sometimes.....
No chem's....Algae quick fixes are nothing but Hydrogen Peroxide for big $$$
per bottle because of the word "pond" or "aquatic" is on it and yes they
work quick but in the right conditions they will also kill off the
beneficial algaes and the process starts over again...If you must use
something buy a bale of Barley Straw (not the little block for $15.00 that
says "for Ponds") get the AREA not volume and divide by 100, this will give
you how many pounds to put in the pond, in an onion bag with a rock in it
under the waterfall or next to the pump intake...20 days later you will see
clearer water and that little plug will last about 5-6 months.....
Or build a bigger filtration