Old 06-07-2004, 05:06 PM
San Diego Joe

Default Goldfish egg bound

I have a shibunkin that appears to be egg bound. There has been considerable
goldfish sex happening amongst the fish, but I'm unsure if she has attempted
to take part. She is getting very large.

Is there something I need to do, or should I just let nature take it's
course?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:35:17 -0700, San Diego Joe
wrote:

I have a shibunkin that appears to be egg bound. There has been considerable
goldfish sex happening amongst the fish, but I'm unsure if she has attempted
to take part. She is getting very large.

Is there something I need to do, or should I just let nature take it's
course?

I've had luck adding floating plants. Sometimes males will chase egg
bound females to exhaustion, and possibly death. Here again, it helps
to have plenty of plants. You can "strip" egg bound females by hand
(see Dr Innes or other fish book).
Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
San Diego Joe

wrote:

I have a shibunkin that appears to be egg bound. There has been considerable
goldfish sex happening amongst the fish, but I'm unsure if she has attempted
to take part. She is getting very large.

Is there something I need to do, or should I just let nature take it's
course?

I've had luck adding floating plants. Sometimes males will chase egg
bound females to exhaustion, and possibly death. Here again, it helps
to have plenty of plants. You can "strip" egg bound females by hand
(see Dr Innes or other fish book).

Thanks

I have lots of floating plants. I'll check out some of the books. If I do
nothing, is she in any danger?

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

I have a shibunkin that appears to be egg bound. There has been considerable
goldfish sex happening amongst the fish, but I'm unsure if she has attempted
to take part. She is getting very large.

Is there something I need to do, or should I just let nature take it's
course?

I've had luck adding floating plants. Sometimes males will chase egg
bound females to exhaustion, and possibly death. Here again, it helps
to have plenty of plants. You can "strip" egg bound females by hand
(see Dr Innes or other fish book).

Thanks

I have lots of floating plants. I'll check out some of the books. If I do
nothing, is she in any danger?

Some fish die if not relieved. An advanced condition may show
bloating from the decaying eggs. The cause of egg binding are
polluted water, unnatural environment, or poor spawning conditions.
You mention that there are males present which often will help her
condition. For a large fish you can open the vent with a small blunt
instrument which should be inserted parallel to the body. Gentle
pressure is applied from the pectoral fins to the vent. If forceps
are used to open the vent, eggs will flow out through the prongs. You
should notice the fish regain its appetite. If not, you may need to
repeat the procedure in a week or two. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM

large as in are her scales lifting up or pineconing?
egg binding is treated as for dropsy.. heat, epsom salts and antibiotic food, altho
you have to clean the fish up when bringing them in from the outside.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...m%20the%20pond
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disea...ame.htm#dropsy
Ingrid

San Diego Joe wrote:
I have a shibunkin that appears to be egg bound. There has been considerable
goldfish sex happening amongst the fish, but I'm unsure if she has attempted
to take part. She is getting very large.

Is there something I need to do, or should I just let nature take it's
course?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:03 PM
San Diego Joe

" wrote:

large as in are her scales lifting up or pineconing?

Yes, just a little bit.

egg binding is treated as for dropsy.. heat, epsom salts and antibiotic food,
althoyou have to clean the fish up when bringing them in from the outside.

Into quarantine she goes.

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...m%20the%20pond
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disea...ame.htm#dropsy
Ingrid

Thanks Ingrid.

San Diego Joe

Root Bound Alii Ficus Mixmaster Lawns 2 09-02-2005 09:59 PM
[IBC] California bound Andy Rutledge Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 04:34 AM
[IBC] California bound Andy Rutledge Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 04:31 AM
Gold Fish Egg Bound? - 2 pics attached [email protected] Ponds 1 14-07-2003 04:12 AM
Gold Fish Egg Bound? Gale Pearce Ponds 3 11-07-2003 01:25 AM