Old 09-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Iris

Default High PH-Hal

We are at a loss to figure out why the PH spiked. Nothing new added.our
water is naturally high to begin with. We are in an area where there are
pockets of water too high for fish. ,according to guy at store. He said
he wesn't aware that in our actual area this existed,but there's always
the possibility it could happen.We cleaned bottom thoroughly in the
spring. No rocks or sand in the bottom.Only different thing is that
awful "pea soup" algae. Never had this kind of algae before. Kind that
disintegrates when you try to dip it out!
Question: What is the K H supposed to be? I don't see that test on the
paper I got from store..Hardness is 425.
Was unable to do more than partial change this AM before rainstorm
hit.Guy did say yesterday that water was too high to use buffer.That's
why he advised total change.I think he knows his fish "stuff" but deals
more with aquariums I think. Iris

Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 AM
RichToyBox

KH is a measure of the buffering capacity of the pond, to maintain a
consistent pH or have a pH that is radically swinging. The KH must be above
40 ppm or you are headed for a pH crash. A value of 100 is really good. A
value of 200 does not harm anything. If you have a bead filter, then the
value really needs to be over 100 but for all other systems a value of 80 or
better is acceptable.
--
RichToyBox

Old 10-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Iris

Thanks for the explanation RichToyBox.
Buffering capacity was tested. 500 is penciled in in red.Iris

Old 10-07-2004, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

You're having pea soup because of the high pH, higher plant forms can't
take up the nutrients they need (or very little of, depending on plant
types) when the pH is 8.5 and up, but there is always an algae type that
can, which is a good thing in times like this.

I too, am suffering similar, tried 4 lbs of baking soda and it didn't bring
down the pH, as is rumored. Doing water changes of 20% every few days,
seems to be helping, but I'm now at the wait and see mode. We've removed
the smaller flex pipe to the filter and used pvc to get more flow, so I'm
hoping things will start to improve.

Fish seem fine, in fact, I was going to pull one of them out to sell and
when I happened to see the orange blur beneath the green murked I netted
it. After a good look I decided it was way too gorgeous to sell, had turned
into a really nice orange and white ryunkin, a keeper. ~ jan