Old 18-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Default Pump Calculations

Can someone point me to a link that describes pump performance a little better?

There is a chart, at the bottom of this page:

http://www.calpump.com/products.asp?category=4

But, what I don't understand is, how do you determine the flow rate in GPH if when using the pump listed, the maxium HT. of a water feature can be only 2 or 3 feet?

The chart says the pump can make the maximum head be 11 feet for example, with the P1600 pump at which point the flow rate would be only 220 GPH, but what if you are using a foam jet fountain, of which the maximum height can only be 3 feet or so?

Does this mean, that using a nozzle that is limited to 3 feet in height is automatically consuming the pumps flow rate so that it would be the same as if an 11 foot high nozzle was being used?

I'm a little confused.
Old 20-07-2004, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

Pump head is the height the water is pumped to and the friction loss in
getting it there. The higher the head, the lower the flow rate. At maximum
head, the flow rate should be zero, and at maximum flow, the head should be
near zero. In between, the flow is reduced as shown on the chart. The foam
head has some restriction that acts as friction head. As far as the height
of the spray, it is a matter of the pressure behind the spray head. Think
of the height of flow from an open garden hose, and the height of flow if
the garden hose is put on full stream type spray, but then if the flow is
restricted enough, as in mist spray, then the height is again lowered
significantly. I don't know how these factors would affect your foam head.
--
RichToyBox
"LittleScooby" wrote in

http://tinyurl.com/4kxjl

Old 20-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Registered User

So if my pump is maxed out with no restrictions, and the foam jet fountain head is only 2 feet in the air because the pump can't make the head any higher because it's running at maximum, does it mean that the pump is at closer to 0 GPH flow rate, regardless of what the chart says? Because the chart would say 2 feet of head = a much higher flow rate than if it were at 11 Feet.

Because a normal fountain head could actually go up to 11 feet or whatever the chart maximum is, but foam jets only ever get to be a fraction of that height because of how they work.

I guess I just need to confirm that if I have no restrictions on a pump, and it is powering a foam jet at the foam jets maximum head, does that mean the pump is very close to 0 GPH (same as if the height were closer to 11 feet of a normal fountain)?

Quote:
Originally posted by RichToyBox

Old 20-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Crashj

LittleScooby wrote in message ...
So if my pump is maxed out with no restrictions, and the foam jet
fountain head is only 2 feet in the air because the pump can't make the
head any higher because it's running at maximum

Your theory is pretty much right, pressure head includes the height of
the plume or fountain, but may be flow losses in the head itself.
The foam head can be self limiting because of two things:
1. Internal restrictions
2. External loss due to turbulent output
The head has pressure loss to produce the foam effect. Therefore there
is back pressure, which shows up as flow somewhere else in the system.
In other words, the water comes out someplace else if it can. If it
can't then the pump efficiency drops off to dump the power; it
cavitates.
--
Crashj
Old 21-07-2004, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

If the pump were maxed out, the flow rate would be 0 or no flow, as far as
maximum head. If you add a different pump, that has a higher flow rate,
then you should expect the height of the foam jet to increase, but not
necessarily double the flow rating of the pump, double the height of the
foam jet. The friction in the pipes would increase very rapidly increasing
the total head, and therefore, the flow rate would not be double, but would
still be more than the smaller pump. If the actual flow rate doubled, then
I would expect the height of the foam jet would come close to doubling.
--
RichToyBox
"LittleScooby" wrote in

RichToyBox wrote:
[...]
http://tinyurl.com/6k2bp
"LittleScooby" wrote
in
message .. .

*

--
LittleScooby

Old 21-07-2004, 02:34 AM
Registered User

Thanks. I went to that websight but I still get lost. How about I just post the info of what I'm thinking of getting.

I'm thinking of getting the Oase Aquarius 2000 pump which is rated at 2000 GPH.

I'm going to be hooking it up to an Oase 1 inch Frothy fountain nozzle which supposedly has a maximum hieght of 44 inches when used with the Aquarius 2000 running at maximum.

What do you think the average flow rate would be for this setup?

http://pondforum.com/NewFiles/SHOP%2...us%202000.html

http://pondusa.com/heads2.htm

Old 25-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Steve \(Dart\)

I think what your asking is "if you put the fountain on, will the pump be
maxed out"
No, the pump will only pump what it can, be it a HT restriction or a
fountain restriction. Your fountain fitting should have a valve to release
extra water pressure. This allows you to adjust your fountain also.
PLMK if this is the case.

"LittleScooby" wrote in
message .. .