GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Damn Varmints ate my Duckweed! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/79990-damn-varmints-ate-my-duckweed.html)

Bill Stock 22-07-2004 07:37 PM

Damn Varmints ate my Duckweed!

Well I bought my Duckweed and put it in a big wash tub, so I could add some
to the Pond as needed. I was worried last night, as it rained pretty hard
and I filled the tub a little too full. I had visions of all the Duckweed
floating out of the tub.

So I checked it first thing this morning and the water level was lower than
before the rain. I looked closely and noticed that more than half of my
Duckweed is gone! Damn Varmints! It looks like the Coons had a drinking
party last night. Might have been the Rabbits I suppose.

I guess the tub was not a bright idea in any event, as I have no way to keep
the skeeters out.

~ jan JJsPond.us 22-07-2004 07:38 PM

Damn Varmints ate my Duckweed!

Depending on the tub's size, maybe you could use screen door material held
down with a bungee cord around the tub? Keep the skeeters out and confuse
the cavorting coons? ~ jan

Bill Stock 22-07-2004 07:38 PM

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Depending on the tub's size, maybe you could use screen door material held
down with a bungee cord around the tub? Keep the skeeters out and confuse
the cavorting coons? ~ jan

That's a fine idea to keep the mosquitos out. I could make a wooden frame a
little larger than the tub and stretch some screen over it. Then just sit
the frame over the tub and weight it down. Likely not coon proof, but worth
a shot.

Thanks.

Pavel314 09-07-2005 11:11 PM

My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
something WOULD eat it.

Paul

Roy 09-07-2005 11:24 PM

I expect Reel McKoi to pop in here and say just how fast her fish can
consume duckweed............

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 18:11:28 -0400, "Pavel314"
wrote:

===My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
===something WOULD eat it.
===
===Paul
===

"The original frugal ponder"

~ janj JJsPond.us 09-07-2005 11:26 PM

My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
something WOULD eat it.
Paul

Hi Paul, What do you have in the pond fishwise? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Reel Mckoi 10-07-2005 01:42 AM

"Pavel314" wrote in message
My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I

wish
something WOULD eat it.

Paul

========================
Koi and goldfish both eat regular duckweed.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Roy 10-07-2005 01:57 AM

Well my koi do not touch it........so not ALL koi eat it and my
goldfish rarely touch it..........so.......now what?

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:42:15 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
===========================

Gale Pearce 10-07-2005 06:02 AM

Well my koi do not touch it........so not ALL koi eat it and my
goldfish rarely touch it..........so.......now what?

My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I
wish something WOULD eat it.

My koi and GF both eat ALL the small, bright green type of duckweed, but do
not touch the larger, darker, thicker type - I have to keep it in my lotus
barrel on my deck and scoop some out for the pond, otherwise the fish eat it
until it's all gone - the baby pond fish in the barrels for mosquito
abatement are too small to eat it like the fish in the pond
JME - Gale :~)

Wilmdale 10-07-2005 02:02 PM

Pavel314 wrote:

My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
something WOULD eat it.

Paul

Koi and gold fish. I have keep my duck weed in the veggie filter as
when it gets into the main pond, it is history.
W. Dale

Pavel314 18-07-2005 08:20 PM

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:
My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
something WOULD eat it.
Paul

Hi Paul, What do you have in the pond fishwise? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Mainly catfish. We put in some koi but they were quickly eaten by the
great blue herons.

Paul