Old 22-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Bill Stock

Default Damn Varmints ate my Duckweed!

Well I bought my Duckweed and put it in a big wash tub, so I could add some
to the Pond as needed. I was worried last night, as it rained pretty hard
and I filled the tub a little too full. I had visions of all the Duckweed
floating out of the tub.

So I checked it first thing this morning and the water level was lower than
before the rain. I looked closely and noticed that more than half of my
Duckweed is gone! Damn Varmints! It looks like the Coons had a drinking
party last night. Might have been the Rabbits I suppose.

I guess the tub was not a bright idea in any event, as I have no way to keep
the skeeters out.

Old 22-07-2004, 07:38 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Depending on the tub's size, maybe you could use screen door material held
down with a bungee cord around the tub? Keep the skeeters out and confuse
the cavorting coons? ~ jan

Old 22-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Depending on the tub's size, maybe you could use screen door material held
down with a bungee cord around the tub? Keep the skeeters out and confuse
the cavorting coons? ~ jan

That's a fine idea to keep the mosquitos out. I could make a wooden frame a
little larger than the tub and stretch some screen over it. Then just sit
the frame over the tub and weight it down. Likely not coon proof, but worth
a shot.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Pavel314

My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
something WOULD eat it.

Paul

Old 09-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Roy

I expect Reel McKoi to pop in here and say just how fast her fish can
consume duckweed............

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 18:11:28 -0400, "Pavel314"
wrote:

===My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
===something WOULD eat it.
===
===Paul
===

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
something WOULD eat it.
Paul

Hi Paul, What do you have in the pond fishwise? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 10-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Pavel314" wrote in message
My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I

wish
something WOULD eat it.

Paul

========================
Koi and goldfish both eat regular duckweed.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 10-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Roy

Well my koi do not touch it........so not ALL koi eat it and my
goldfish rarely touch it..........so.......now what?

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:42:15 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
===========================

Old 10-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Gale Pearce

Well my koi do not touch it........so not ALL koi eat it and my
goldfish rarely touch it..........so.......now what?

My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I
wish something WOULD eat it.

My koi and GF both eat ALL the small, bright green type of duckweed, but do
not touch the larger, darker, thicker type - I have to keep it in my lotus
barrel on my deck and scoop some out for the pond, otherwise the fish eat it
until it's all gone - the baby pond fish in the barrels for mosquito
abatement are too small to eat it like the fish in the pond
JME - Gale :~)

Old 10-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Wilmdale

Pavel314 wrote:

My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
something WOULD eat it.

Paul

Koi and gold fish. I have keep my duck weed in the veggie filter as
when it gets into the main pond, it is history.
W. Dale

Old 18-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Pavel314

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:
My circular pond, about 100 feet diameter, is covered with duckweed. I wish
something WOULD eat it.
Paul

Hi Paul, What do you have in the pond fishwise? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Mainly catfish. We put in some koi but they were quickly eaten by the
great blue herons.

Paul

Old 18-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Roy

Now need to stock a few gators and let them eat the

On 18 Jul 2005 12:20:45 -0700, "Pavel314" wrote:

===
===