GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Barley Straw turned my pond water brown (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/80204-barley-straw-turned-my-pond-water-brown.html)

Lostin1999 25-07-2004 07:10 PM

Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

"Granny Grump" wrote in message
but at least it is no longer pea soup green!

Now, what can I add to my Skippy filter, or pond, to remove the brown
tint?

Time!!!!

HTH

Lost

Granny Grump 25-07-2004 08:48 PM

Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

Time!!!!

Anything else? Would really like to see my fish, on the bottom, at
least a few times this year :)

Gareee© 25-07-2004 10:21 PM

Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

"Granny Grump" wrote in message

Time!!!!

Anything else? Would really like to see my fish, on the bottom, at
least a few times this year :)

Hey, I'm in the same boat.. did we use too much barley straw, or what?

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Jim 25-07-2004 10:24 PM

Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

did we use too much barley straw, or what?

How dark is the water? I use Barley bales and they give my water a
brown tint, but the water is still clear to the bottom.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

Gareee© 26-07-2004 12:02 AM

"Jim" wrote in message
did we use too much barley straw, or what?

How dark is the water? I use Barley bales and they give my water a
brown tint, but the water is still clear to the bottom.

we just used two of the barley straw "pads" in ours, and they are about 10
inches square, woven.

Our pond is 12x12 by about 2-3 feet deep.

Jim 26-07-2004 01:08 AM

Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

we just used two of the barley straw "pads" in ours,
and they are about 10 inches square, woven.
Our pond is 12x12 by about 2-3 feet deep.

Two Barley pads should have changed the water to a tea color. If your
pond is an opaque or murky brown, I would think something else caused
the problem.

Granny Grump 26-07-2004 01:31 AM

Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

How dark is the water? I use Barley bales and they give my water a
brown tint, but the water is still clear to the bottom.

I used barley pellets.

Maybe it's real dark tea brown because the pellets reacts faster than
the straw does.

Granny Grump 26-07-2004 01:32 AM

Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

Hey, I'm in the same boat.. did we use too much barley straw, or what?

Nahhhh, think it's because the pellets rot so much faster than the
straw.

Will stick with straw the next time around...

Mike Patterson 26-07-2004 01:53 AM

Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:10:22 -0500, Granny Grump
wrote:

but at least it is no longer pea soup green!

Now, what can I add to my Skippy filter, or pond, to remove the brown
tint?

Wait.

It did the same when i first put a bag in my ~1300 gallon pond. After
a week or so the particulates settled and were filtered out.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."