Old 25-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Lostin1999

Default Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

"Granny Grump" wrote in message
but at least it is no longer pea soup green!

Now, what can I add to my Skippy filter, or pond, to remove the brown
tint?

Time!!!!

HTH

Lost

Old 25-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Granny Grump

Old 25-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Granny Grump

Time!!!!

Anything else? Would really like to see my fish, on the bottom, at
least a few times this year

Old 25-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Granny Grump

Old 25-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Gareee©

"Granny Grump" wrote in message

Time!!!!

Anything else? Would really like to see my fish, on the bottom, at
least a few times this year

Hey, I'm in the same boat.. did we use too much barley straw, or what?

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 25-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Jim

did we use too much barley straw, or what?

How dark is the water? I use Barley bales and they give my water a
brown tint, but the water is still clear to the bottom.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

Old 26-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Gareee©

"Jim" wrote in message
did we use too much barley straw, or what?

How dark is the water? I use Barley bales and they give my water a
brown tint, but the water is still clear to the bottom.

we just used two of the barley straw "pads" in ours, and they are about 10
inches square, woven.

Our pond is 12x12 by about 2-3 feet deep.

Old 26-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Jim

we just used two of the barley straw "pads" in ours,
and they are about 10 inches square, woven.
Our pond is 12x12 by about 2-3 feet deep.

Two Barley pads should have changed the water to a tea color. If your
pond is an opaque or murky brown, I would think something else caused
the problem.

Old 26-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Granny Grump

How dark is the water? I use Barley bales and they give my water a
brown tint, but the water is still clear to the bottom.

I used barley pellets.

Maybe it's real dark tea brown because the pellets reacts faster than
the straw does.

Old 26-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Granny Grump

Hey, I'm in the same boat.. did we use too much barley straw, or what?

Nahhhh, think it's because the pellets rot so much faster than the
straw.

Will stick with straw the next time around...

Old 26-07-2004, 01:53 AM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:10:22 -0500, Granny Grump
wrote:

but at least it is no longer pea soup green!

Now, what can I add to my Skippy filter, or pond, to remove the brown
tint?

Wait.

It did the same when i first put a bag in my ~1300 gallon pond. After
a week or so the particulates settled and were filtered out.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 26-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Jim

we just used two of the barley straw "pads" in ours,
and they are about 10 inches square, woven.
Our pond is 12x12 by about 2-3 feet deep.

Two Barley pads should have changed the water to a tea color. If your
pond is an opaque or murky brown, I would think something else caused
the problem.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

Barley Straw in my Pond Filter area? bardenmatt Edible Gardening 1 14-04-2011 08:25 PM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ? Shawn P. Good Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
Barley straw Gene Ponds 3 12-11-2003 04:42 PM
Added pond straw and water turned yellowish-brown Terry Stabb Ponds 3 01-10-2003 05:32 PM