GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Are crayfish ok for a pond? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/80522-crayfish-ok-pond.html)

WilsonKKW 28-07-2004 11:32 PM

Are crayfish ok for a pond?

are crayfish ok for a pond ?transfered from fForida to Maryland

Ka30P 28-07-2004 11:37 PM

Are crayfish ok for a pond?

Depends on the crayfish.
cut and paste
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=off&q=crayfis
h%2C+crawdads&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Drec.ponds

kathy :-)
algae primer

bluegill phil 29-07-2004 01:21 AM

Are crayfish ok for a pond?

I had White River crawdads in an aquarium. While they were in the
growing stage they were cold blooded killers. They would kill the fish
when the fish (platys) where asleep. When they matured they started
eating mostly vegitables. They wrecked out everything and ate the
plants even though the plants were plastic. I found them to be very
entertaining but if your pond is small or over stocked I would watch
for shereded fins

Phisherman 29-07-2004 01:33 AM

Are crayfish ok for a pond?

On 28 Jul 2004 22:32:24 GMT, (WilsonKKW) wrote:

are crayfish ok for a pond ?transfered from fForida to Maryland

Crayfish are not recommended for a pond as they are very destructive.
Frogs, turtles and snakes are okay for larger ponds, although these
can be inimical to fish. I prefer to remove reptiles, although that
is a personal decision.

Crashj 29-07-2004 04:11 AM

Are crayfish ok for a pond?

EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote in message ...
Depends on the crayfish.
cut and paste
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=off&q=crayfis
h%2C+crawdads&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Drec.ponds

Thank you for posting that as I was wondering the same thing. Should I
eat it or just throw it in the pond?

Incidentally, for long urls like that try snipurl.com which yields:
http://snipurl.com/83eh

for the crayfish threads. Also, could you add crawfish for some more
hits?

I kept one in a cold aquarium for years and fed it my dead fish. I
have seen them capture a sleeping tropical fish, so in the tank is not
a good idea.

Crashj 'betcha can't eat just one' Johnson

[email protected] 29-07-2004 06:15 PM

Are crayfish ok for a pond?

On 28 Jul 2004 22:37:50 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

Depends on the crayfish.
cut and paste
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=off&q=crayfis
h%2C+crawdads&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Drec.pond s

Just an FYI, for long URL's like this, you can shorten them with
http://www.URLBee.com it's a free service.

kathy :-)
algae primer

hth,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***********
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com

Ka30P 29-07-2004 06:52 PM

Are crayfish ok for a pond?

Just an FYI, for long URL's like this, you can shorten them with
http://www.URLBee.com it's a free service.

Nah, I'll rely on the smarter computer folks amongst us for little urls. The
great wide internet is not kind to old imacs and all my computer dollars go to
the kids (two laptops for college kid and dyslexic high schooler this year -
eek!).
I would love to upgrade to the newest MAC. Just have to turn over all the pond
rocks and find some money... it must be out there somewhere!

kathy :-)
algae primer

RichToyBox 30-07-2004 01:17 AM

Are crayfish ok for a pond?

I think that if the truth were told, all of us would find a lot of money in
and around the pond. Expensive fish, filters, food, pumps, lights, etc.,
etc.
--
RichToyBox

~ jan JJsPond.us 30-07-2004 07:57 PM