GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Barley straw question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/81473-barley-straw-question.html)

elaine 10-08-2004 03:02 AM

Barley straw question

We are still fighting the green pond thing although the water is clearing a
bit, thanks in part to something from Laguna that is supposed to make the
suspended alagae clump therefore making it easier for your filter to grab.
Not a big fan of the chemical thing, but since it said nothing about killing
the algae I figured I would let the SO have his way and try it. The LFS has
bags of Barley straw pellets on sale that I would like to try but the SO
says that the tannins in it will turn the pond brown? I had never heard
this but this whole pond thing is new to me.
Thanks for the help
Elaine

Granny Grump 10-08-2004 04:39 AM

Barley straw question

bags of Barley straw pellets on sale that I would like to try but the SO
says that the tannins in it will turn the pond brown? I had never heard
this but this whole pond thing is new to me.

Yup, it does indeed! Dark tea brown too!
been there, did that.....still trying to get the water to clear up :(

Gareee© 10-08-2004 06:08 AM

Barley straw question

"Granny Grump" wrote in message

bags of Barley straw pellets on sale that I would like to try but the SO
says that the tannins in it will turn the pond brown? I had never heard
this but this whole pond thing is new to me.

Yup, it does indeed! Dark tea brown too!
been there, did that.....still trying to get the water to clear up :(

Same here.. I think I prefer the dark tea brown to the green though.. ;)

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Karen 10-08-2004 06:28 AM

Barley straw question

try adding a layer or 2 of quilt batting to the final stage of your filter
before the water returns to the pond. it will catch an awful lot of greenies.
you may need to replace it once as it will get clogged quickly.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Granny Grump 10-08-2004 02:10 PM

Barley straw question

try adding a layer or 2 of quilt batting to the final stage of your filter
before the water returns to the pond. it will catch an awful lot of greenies.
you may need to replace it once as it will get clogged quickly.

Taking out the plants is a pain :(
LOL
Reckon brown water will do for this year...will add batting next
spring and start fresh.

elaine 10-08-2004 10:28 PM

Barley straw question

YUP have been doing that...luckily have a "huge" roll (4'x?lots) especially
since it needs to be changed around every 2 days(6 squares 12"x15"). Hmm
think I prefer brown to green to if the clarity improves. May have to work
on the SO's sense of adventure.

Elaine

Sue Walsh 11-08-2004 01:05 AM

Granny Grump wrote in message . ..

Reckon brown water will do for this year...will add batting next
spring and start fresh.

This was posted last year.

"Plaster of Paris mixed, pour in an egg carton. 2 pucks (eggs) per
500 gallons of water.....
Magnesium and calcium, ok for fish and it removes tannins from
water....
Doing this for 3 years, works great....."

I just kept it, but never tried it. If you try it let me know if it
works.

You can see my "Rippling Waters" Pond at
http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

Sue W
Brooksville, FL

Doctor John 12-08-2004 03:47 PM

I've tried barely straw and found it to be totally ineffective. I guess
some people report that it works - maybe in a warm climate. I put bags of
it in my pond here in Colorado, and the string algae is growing on the bags!

Dr. John
. ..

Ka30P 12-08-2004 04:34 PM

Dr. John wrote I put bags of
it in my pond here in Colorado, and the string algae is growing on the bags!

LOL! Well now, that's just adding insult to
injury!

kathy :-)
algae primer

news.pcisys.net 13-08-2004 02:51 AM

Barley straw question

So did I DJ. Did not do much to clear my water. Even a bunch of folks
at PPWGS here in Springs, swear by it. I am building a veggie filter
this weekend. Nothing to lose except murky water. And even if it does
not clear things up, will be a nice landscaping to the back yard.
Where are you in Colorado?
W. Dale

Doctor John wrote:
I've tried barely straw and found it to be totally ineffective. I guess
some people report that it works - maybe in a warm climate. I put bags of
it in my pond here in Colorado, and the string algae is growing on the bags!

Dr. John
. ..

Doctor John 15-08-2004 05:42 PM

I'm in the mountains outside of Fort Collins...

I just don't get this barley straw thing. I've read of many positive
results, and even a couple research papers which indicated it works. My
experience with it has been disappointing, to say the least. It may be that
under very specific circumstances - pH, nutrient level, temperature, level
of string algae infestation, etc. - barely straw will have some effect.
Anyway, I'll never use it again. Anyone want to buy my two bales of barely
straw :-) ??

Doctor John wrote:
I've tried barely straw and found it to be totally ineffective. I guess
some people report that it works - maybe in a warm climate. I put bags

of
it in my pond here in Colorado, and the string algae is growing on the

bags!

Dr. John
. ..