Old 12-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Scott M.

Default Heron visiting my pond

I thought this might happen sooner or later, given my rural location. My son photographed a blue heron scoping out my pond a couple of days ago. I posted three pictures at http://tinyurl.com/5vtng. Look at the last three photos, named Heron1,2 & 3.

The question now is what can I do to discourage the heron and still keep fish and maintain the esthetics of my pond. It looks like my 4 koi have stayed deep enough to stay out of his reach, so far. I have laid some chicken wire fencing over part of the pond for now but need a permanent solution. Should I put up a low electric fence so that he gets shocked when he approaches the edge?

I suspect he will keep returning, now that he knows the fish are there.

Scott M.
Ottawa, Ontario
Old 13-08-2004, 02:52 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Scott M." wrote in message
I thought this might happen sooner or later, given my rural location. My son
photographed a blue heron scoping out my pond a couple of days ago. I posted
three pictures at http://tinyurl.com/5vtng. Look at the last three photos,
named Heron1,2 & 3.

The question now is what can I do to discourage the heron and still keep
fish and maintain the esthetics of my pond. It looks like my 4 koi have
stayed deep enough to stay out of his reach, so far. I have laid some
chicken wire fencing over part of the pond for now but need a permanent
solution. Should I put up a low electric fence so that he gets shocked when
he approaches the edge?

I suspect he will keep returning, now that he knows the fish are there.
They will keep coming back. More and more will come. We went through that
for several years. Finally in disgust we bought those black bird-nets and
covered the ponds. Before the herons we were losing our koi and goldfish to
water snakes, mud turtles, bullfrogs and herons. In our case it was either
net the ponds or turn them over to the predators and not keep fish. If you
have herons you will probably also see frogs and snakes.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried

Old 13-08-2004, 03:12 AM
Ka30P

Scott wrote Should I put up a low electric fence so that he gets shocked when
he approaches the edge?

Take a look at this new version of the electric shock option.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=electric+pond+fence

It is fairly new and so far I haven't run into anyone who has used it. Might
not be as instrusive as netting. But I'm wondering how easy it would be to
install.

If you do try it, let us know how you like it.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 13-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Roy

I have been using fake alligators for some time now with quite
effective results.........I had tried the fake heron thing
before..worked for awhile but so far the alligator thing is doing
great.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 19-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Scott M.

I've seen these at a Flea Market near my home. I'll take a second look at
them on Sunday!

Scott

Old 19-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Roy

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:45:21 -0400, "Scott M."
wrote:

===I've seen these at a Flea Market near my home. I'll take a second look at
===them on Sunday!
===
===Scott
===
===
==="Roy" wrote in message
. net...
=== I have been using fake alligators for some time now with quite
=== effective results.........I had tried the fake heron thing
=== before..worked for awhile but so far the alligator thing is doing
=== great.
=== Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com
=== Opinions expressed are those of my wife,
=== I had no input whatsoever.
=== Remove "nospam" from email addy.
===

Unless you live in an area that may have gators I do not know if using
a fake gator would work. Herons living in Canada or Maine would
probably knot know what a gator was..........but then again Herons
like to be the only thing feeding so it may be sufficient to deter it
from using your pond as a cafeteria.
Old 19-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Andrew Burgess

Unless you live in an area that may have gators I do not know if using
a fake gator would work. Herons living in Canada or Maine would
probably not know what a gator was

To me, that's an argument for getting a _real_ gator :-)

Andy the heron hater

Old 19-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Ka30P

Andy wrote To me, that's an argument for getting a _real_ gator :-)

chortle! I can just imagine a gator exiting my pond and wandering down to the
park here in WA state, eating up those irritating Pomeranians.
Hmmmmmm.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 12-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Pinkpggy

He is one bold bird. I love the setting of your pond, its so rustic looking.
Beautiful!!
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html
Old 12-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Bob Koerber

Scott M. wrote:

I thought this might happen sooner or later, given my rural location.
My son photographed a blue heron scoping out my pond a couple of days
ago. I posted three pictures at http://tinyurl.com/5vtng. Look at the
last three photos, named Heron1,2 & 3.

The question now is what can I do to discourage the heron and still
keep fish and maintain the esthetics of my pond. It looks like my 4
koi have stayed deep enough to stay out of his reach, so far. I have
laid some chicken wire fencing over part of the pond for now but need
a permanent solution. Should I put up a low electric fence so that he
gets shocked when he approaches the edge?

I suspect he will keep returning, now that he knows the fish are there.

Scott M.
Ottawa, Ontario

You can try the electric fence, get a fake heron or try the fishing line method around the pond. He definitly will return in my large pond 1/3+ acre I never had great blues in 3 years now this year I have seen 3 different bird at it but never 2 at the same time. I use kids and the dogs to chase them off.

Bob

Heron visiting my pond Scott M. Ponds 0 12-08-2004 02:07 PM
[IBC] Visiting Norfolk, VA Tony Busko Bonsai 1 02-07-2003 12:33 AM
[IBC] visiting dignitary Marty Haber Bonsai 0 08-06-2003 01:32 AM
Where to take a visiting gardener? Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Where to take a visiting gardener? Anne Lurie North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM