Old 12-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Scott M.

Default Heron visiting my pond

I thought this might happen sooner or later, given my rural location. My son photographed a blue heron scoping out my pond a couple of days ago. I posted three pictures at http://tinyurl.com/5vtng. Look at the last three photos, named Heron1,2 & 3.

The question now is what can I do to discourage the heron and still keep fish and maintain the esthetics of my pond. It looks like my 4 koi have stayed deep enough to stay out of his reach, so far. I have laid some chicken wire fencing over part of the pond for now but need a permanent solution. Should I put up a low electric fence so that he gets shocked when he approaches the edge?

I suspect he will keep returning, now that he knows the fish are there.

Scott M.
Ottawa, Ontario

Heron visiting my pond Scott M. Ponds 37 20-08-2004 12:21 AM
[IBC] Visiting Norfolk, VA Tony Busko Bonsai 1 02-07-2003 12:33 AM
[IBC] visiting dignitary Marty Haber Bonsai 0 08-06-2003 01:32 AM
Where to take a visiting gardener? Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Where to take a visiting gardener? Anne Lurie North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM