Old 12-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Ka30P

Default OT Yellowjacket Shop Vac

Cam wrote
I had killed almost 2 cups full of yellowjackets in the space

of 10 minutes without poison and never got stung.

Wow! I'm impressed!!
We were having dinner out at this place in Oregon last week. The yellowjackets
showed up
so we started setting traps with our coffee cup saucers, put down a piece of
turkey, waited for the insects to arrive and then put the coffee cup over them.
The teenage waiters thought this was most amazing. Entertained the little kids
too.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

My guys found a nest in a knot hole that had fallen out of the fascia, 2.5
stories above the ponds. They too got out the shop vac, putting it on the
roof and using the hook attachment for gutter cleaning. Once they had got
many, they filled the hole with expanding foam. Sealing in the queen and
whoever had not left, and sealing out anyone who hadn't arrived.
Interestingly, over the next 3 days wasps would be found outside the hole,
and from the deck with many long wand attachments, son would suck them off.

I guess great minds think alike. ;o) As I thought we were stuck with the
nest till fall. ~ jan

On 12 Aug 2004 06:58:52 -0700, "Cam" wrote:

My back yard is swarmed with yellowjacket wasps every August and
September. It can make it tough to sit by the pond with a drink or eat
dinner on the deck. They are attracted by the flowering silverlace
vines on the fence and deck railing. I have set traps for them, put out
borax ant-bait and swatted them with no real effect on the population.
I never used a hornet blaster because the poison in those is extremely
toxic to fish (and the rest of the world). Rather than cut down the
vines I set out to take the battle directly to the wasps themselves. I
found their nest, it was actually in a hole in the bricks of my house.
I got my wet/dry shop vac and vacuumed up about a gallon of soapy water
and then set the crevice tool of the vac beside the entrance of the
nest. Over the space of 10 minutes it sucked up every wasp on their way
in or out of the nest. As soon as they were flying within 5 inches of
the nozzle they would dissappear down the black hole. I let the vac sit
on the deck for a few more minutes to make sure the wasps had drowned
in the soapy water and then emptied the contents out into some fine
netting. I had killed almost 2 cups full of yellowjackets in the space
of 10 minutes without poison and never got stung.
I'll continue with the traps but any time I find a wasp nest I'm going
to get the shop vac out again. It really worked.

Cam

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 12-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Andy Hill

"Cam" wrote:
[...]

You probably should toss some wasp nerve gas into the hole now. I've used the
shopvac method in the past, and while it does a great job of knocking down the
worker population, it doesn't do a thing for the queen, the newly-hatched
workers (who are still hanging out on the nest) or the pupae. You'll soon have
a thriving nest going again unless you do something about those guys and gals.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Andy Hill

"Cam" wrote:
[...]

Recommendation to get rid of small yellowjacket nest Link Gardening 12 29-05-2008 04:51 PM
OT Yellowjacket Shop Vac Cam Ponds 3 27-09-2004 07:12 PM
Shop Vac for cleaning pond? camper Ponds 11 18-03-2004 09:34 AM
Instead of a Shop Vac for bottom sludge removal - Mike Patterson Ponds 8 18-03-2004 09:34 AM
FIRE ANTS: Shop Vac & Incineration zebrin Gardening 5 31-07-2003 05:32 AM