Old 14-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Roy

Default Question on planting aquatic plants

I live in the deep south (Centreal Alabama zone 9 IIRC) I have only
ever seen ice around the edges of my pond one time and its about 20
years old. Our water lines are only buried 6 to 10 inches
deep........so it shows how much serious freezing weather we get.
Mostly it never gets belowmid 30's and then its only for a couple of
days.......and I have only had frost a few times.

So my question is when would you plant aquatic plants like calla's.
iris, and water lillies........I have mainly hardy lillies but do have
a few tropical.

Since this is actually the first year we have fooled with plants in
and around the pond (natural clay / sand bottom pond 1 + acre, will
the water lillies I have growing now loose their leaves or do they
usually keep them all year around in climates that are not so cold..

I was just given a large bag full of hornwart. There is no roots, and
was told it can just be weighted down and placed in the pond Will
hornwart take up and grow roots..........can pieces be cut and simply
stuck in the ponds soil and be expected to grow ?

Thanks for any info or insight

I can raise animals and veggies but flowers and stuff are not my
forte.
..
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 14-08-2004, 04:10 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Roy" wrote in message

So my question is when would you plant aquatic plants like calla's.
iris, and water lillies........I have mainly hardy lillies but do have
a few tropical.

## I have good luck planting water plants all through the summer. Ours are
in large pots of clay soil topped with peagravel. Those in the big pond are
bird netted at the potline to keep the koi lips out of the soil.

Since this is actually the first year we have fooled with plants in
and around the pond (natural clay / sand bottom pond 1 + acre, will
the water lillies I have growing now loose their leaves or do they
usually keep them all year around in climates that are not so cold..

## In zone 6 (TN) my hardy lilies only keep a few leaves down near the crown
of the plant. They start to grow in April.

I was just given a large bag full of hornwart. There is no roots, and
was told it can just be weighted down and placed in the pond Will
hornwart take up and grow roots..

## This is a rootless FLOATER so don't weigh them down. Drop them in the
calmest part of your pond/lake.

.........can pieces be cut and simply
stuck in the ponds soil and be expected to grow ?

## They'll rot where you stick them into the soil.

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried

Old 14-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Ka30P

Since your pond is natural there are going to be some rules and regulations and
you'd probably better read up on noxious aquatic weeds in your state before you
plant anything. You can call your state ecology office or find them on the web.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 14-08-2004, 07:35 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:08:24 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

So my question is when would you plant aquatic plants like calla's.
iris, and water lillies........I have mainly hardy lillies but do have
a few tropical.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Calla's have to be conditioned to grow
in the water, taken out in fall and store the bulb dry. The others you can
plant anytime.

the water lillies I have growing now loose their leaves or do they
usually keep them all year around in climates that are not so cold..

Since hardies react to day length, my understanding is they will go thru a
short dormant period even in the south. This may be as simple as not
producing new flowers and pads for a month or so. Hopefully someone from
the south will weigh in on this.

I was just given a large bag full of hornwart. There is no roots, and
was told it can just be weighted down and placed in the pond Will
hornwart take up and grow roots..........can pieces be cut and simply
stuck in the ponds soil and be expected to grow ?

I usually sit a rock on it if there is some particular place I want it to
stay, other wise, like Windsong said, just let it float..... but do heed
the advice of K30 regarding noxious aquatic weeds and restrictions in your
area. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 14-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Roy

On 14 Aug 2004 03:21:00 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

===Since your pond is natural there are going to be some rules and regulations and
===you'd probably better read up on noxious aquatic weeds in your state before you
===plant anything. You can call your state ecology office or find them on the web.
===
===
===kathy :-)
===algae primer
===

Yep, the last thing I need is noxious aquatics taking over. There
really is not much of a rish of any spreading as my ppond merely
empties into the pasture when its to the point of being full and is
nowhere near a stream etc but the chance is still there. One time my
son and wife collected a heap of what they were told were water
lillies. They also collected a load of these nice little floating
plants with purple colored flowers. I was on a military deployment at
the time and when I got home a few months later was greetd by a pond
full of something or other that had leaves 2 to 3 feet in diameter
that resembled water lillies, and a mess of hyacinth. I liked to have
never got that pond cleaned and eradicated of that stuff.

I know there is quite an extensive list of prohibited plants for my
zone, many of which I wold love to have such as water lettuce etc, but
I still have a vast variety from which to choose that are legally able
to be utilized. I know the dangers of planting in a clay bottom, as
it leads to possible invasion. I don;t plan on using any baskets,
just plant directly in the ponds banks and bottom.

Old 14-08-2004, 05:35 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Hey Roy, when you get some pictures up of just the pond (and an easy way to
navigate your site to see it) please let me know. I'd really like to see
your pond. ~ jan )

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 14-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Roy

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 09:35:34 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com
===Opinions expressed are those of my wife,
===I had no input whatsoever.
===Remove "nospam" from email addy.
===
===Hey Roy, when you get some pictures up of just the pond (and an easy way to
===navigate your site to see it) please let me know. I'd really like to see
===your pond. ~ jan )
===
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~