GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cheaper Pond liners (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/81751-cheaper-pond-liners.html)

Newbie Bill 15-08-2004 07:13 AM

Cheaper Pond liners

As the season winds down it looks like the Wal Marts etc will be closing out
their inventory soon. I may be tempted to buy a small 150-250 gallon liner
if the price is right and set up a few fish/plant pond. However, none I
have seen are anything but preforms or 20 mil. Is 20 mil a lot more
temporary if its small enough you dont have to walk in it. Any other cheap
alternatives?
Thanxx
Bill Brister

~ Windsong ~ 16-08-2004 04:46 AM

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
.. .
As the season winds down it looks like the Wal Marts etc will be closing

out
their inventory soon. I may be tempted to buy a small 150-250 gallon

liner
if the price is right and set up a few fish/plant pond. However, none I
have seen are anything but preforms or 20 mil. Is 20 mil a lot more
temporary if its small enough you dont have to walk in it. Any other

cheap
alternatives?

========================
The cheapest of the cheap are the $9.99 kiddy pools at Wal-Mart. You buy
one of them and a black plastic drop cloth in the paint dept. for about
$3.00. Presto! A cheapo fishpond for about $15.00, tax included. When I
put mine in the ground I set two in for more strength. That was about 5
years ago and it's still there. :-) With rocks around the perimeter and
the lining no one knows it's a cheapo kiddy pool.

I have 6 more I use for holding tanks, plant propagation pools etc.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere."

Newbie Bill 16-08-2004 05:22 PM

Thanks for the response. Cheap is good, in this instance. I have one now
which I am using for exactly that purpose, but above ground. I will
probably just go ahead and sink it. If it was long and skinny it would be
perfect:) What kind of fish do you have for mosquito controll.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

~ Windsong ~ 17-08-2004 02:13 AM

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
Thanks for the response. Cheap is good, in this instance. I have one now
which I am using for exactly that purpose, but above ground. I will
probably just go ahead and sink it. If it was long and skinny it would be
perfect:) What kind of fish do you have for mosquito controll.

===============================
I use elcheapo minnows (rosy reds) used as feeders by aquarists. They're
something like 10 for a $1.00. They do an excellent job but like company,
so put at least 5 in each tub. I also use extra goldfish fry. I feed them
all a small amount of flakes every day.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Whenever you meet a man who would make a good husband,

Karen 30-08-2004 01:10 AM

In article , Hal
writes:

20 mil what? I have 20 mil Permalon with a bottom drain and it
works well. Much easier to handle than the 40 mil EDPM in another
pond.

it also weighs a lot less and doesn't rack up the shipping bill.

I also have permalon for a liner.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH