GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ppm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/81844-ppm.html)

Newbie Bill 16-08-2004 05:56 PM

ppm

Various test equipment lists 'ppm (mg/L)'. This does not make any sense to
me since this is mixing a weight with a volume UNLESS one milliliter of
water (or some substance) weighs one gram. 1000 milligrams x 1000
milliliters=1,000,000 mg per liter. Is this true? While I'm at it: does
one ounce of water weigh one ounce?
Bill

Jim Humphries 16-08-2004 11:46 PM

You got it. One ml of water weighs one gram. We don't use ounces any more
here.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

RichToyBox 17-08-2004 02:12 AM

One of the provlems with the English set of units is one liquid ounce of
water does not weigh one ounce. 16 fluid ounces is a pint and 8 pints is a
gallon. 16 ounces is pound and a gallon of water weighs 8.33 pounds instead
of 8.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

[email protected] 17-08-2004 03:37 AM

yes. water is the standard of 1 cc = 1 ml = 1 gram
it is soooo much easier to use %. that is grams per 100 ml.
so 3% is 3 grams of something in 100 ml or 0.1 liter
Ingrid

"Newbie Bill" wrote:

Various test equipment lists 'ppm (mg/L)'. This does not make any sense to
me since this is mixing a weight with a volume UNLESS one milliliter of
water (or some substance) weighs one gram. 1000 milligrams x 1000
milliliters=1,000,000 mg per liter. Is this true? While I'm at it: does
one ounce of water weigh one ounce?
Bill

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Rodney Pont 17-08-2004 05:04 PM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:12:19 GMT, RichToyBox wrote:

One of the provlems with the English set of units is one liquid ounce of
water does not weigh one ounce. 16 fluid ounces is a pint and 8 pints is a
gallon. 16 ounces is pound and a gallon of water weighs 8.33 pounds instead
of 8.

That's 20 fluid ounces to a pint, at least in England :-)

Which is lighter, a pound of filter beads or a pound of feathers?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Crashj 17-08-2004 05:53 PM

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.i2lzv00.pminews@ihs1 ...
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:12:19 GMT, RichToyBox wrote:

One of the provlems with the English set of units is one liquid ounce of
water does not weigh one ounce. 16 fluid ounces is a pint and 8 pints is

gallon. 16 ounces is pound and a gallon of water weighs 8.33 pounds

instead
of 8.

That's 20 fluid ounces to a pint, at least in England :-)

Which is lighter, a pound of filter beads or a pound of feathers?

Pound of lead or pound of gold?
--
Crashj

Newbie Bill 17-08-2004 09:16 PM

Now your just confusing the issue:), since you guys have money called a
pound which probably doesnt weigh an ounce or a gram, but which can probably
be exchanged for a pint either Am or Eng.
Bill